GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Paperless Billing - Cautionary Tale - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paperless Billing - Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperless Billing - Cautionary Tale

Hi All

I have noticed a trend emerging amongst utility companies especially towards 'paperless billing'.

This is where you effectively get your bills online and do not get paper ones sent in the post. Companies post this under the guise of 'being green' but I take issue on this for the following reasons:

1) What they really mean is that it saves them money as they don't have to send out bills every month/quarter

2) 'Being Green' still doesn't stop them sending me a reams of glossy paper beguiling me with their latest 'service offerings'

However there is a more sinister aspect that I encountered a couple of years ago..........

I was with BG for my electricity and had a disputed bill with them due to a mix up with meters on our home and adjoining property. Now the itemised bills were central to this cock up as it showed that they had billed me incorrectly not to mention against the wrong meter.

In the middle of this dispute access to my online bills was strangely intermittent, and when access finally returned some of the bills that had previously been available were gone, and others had been changed.

Fortunately I had downloaded previous bills as pdf's and also taken screen shots of what was available.

BG were unaware of this, and tried to deny that anything had changed at all, fortunately something I was able to put to bed very quickly and add to their deceit and incompetence.

Now this may just have been a case of serious butt covering from a customer services agent, but does serve as a warning that even though your bills are 'online' they are not safe!

Best

SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Paperless Billing - Cautionary Tale

the thing is they are trying to get away with sending bills, and getting you either to conduct via online method (more importantly - DD, especially the Power industries). I seen one from the water board (United Utilities) recently sent to me. Bollocks to them, they get paid twice a year and thats final or Quartley with the power board.....they ain't get money DD when they feel like it... The Power board worst culprits!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X