GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tropical fish question if anyone can help please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tropical fish question if anyone can help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical fish question if anyone can help please

Got some guppies neons and some others can't remember the name.

One of the neons have got like black on its body looks like inside his body the orange at his tail is almost gone now and the blue is fading too he seems happy enough , swimming around eating but just wonder if this could be some type of fungus and if so what can i do to get rid of it please ?

Just noticed another neon has got like a white growth on his mouth
    Last edited by Spent2much; 3 March 2016, 18:23.

Re: Tropical fish question if anyone can help please

Click image for larger version

Name:	12771870_493877417458378_2381032373657984622_o (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1410716

ignore the background please the fish is in the middle look at the difference in colour there is seriously something wrong with him .

Comment

Sadly I don't know of anyone on here who keeps tropical fish S2M. I keep pond fish which stay remarkably healthy in a natural unfiltered pond, but they're much hardier than tropicals.

You'd be better asking on an expert fish forum such as http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/

Good luck, hope they're OK.

Elsa x

Comment

Fungus goes hand in hand with bacterial infections. The neon with mouth fungus should be isolated as this is a specific type of fungus. Have you a tiny tank that you could put it into whilst you administer treatment?

As for the 'black' discolouration on the other fish, I'd be tempted to keep an eye on that. It may be down to mood, diet or a circulation issue but I doubt it's anything contageous. It could be disease in which case it'll survive or die. How long have you had these fish and is your tank established?

A 25% water change won't do any harm.
        Last edited by mike'y; 4 March 2016, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by mike'y View Post
          Fungus goes hand in hand with bacterial infections. The neon with mouth fungus should be isolated as this is a specific type of fungus. Have you a tiny tank that you could put it into whilst you administer treatment?

As for the 'black' discolouration on the other fish, I'd be tempted to keep an eye on that. It may be down to mood, diet or a circulation issue but I doubt it's anything contageous. It could be disease in which case it'll survive or die. How long have you had these fish and is your tank established?

A 25% water change won't do any harm.
          Agreed

The fading in one fish could be natural, I have had neons fade for no reason. The black spot, I do not know.

The "growth" sounds like cotton wool fungus, and if memory serves, I think its treated with malachite green.

As Mikey says, 25% water change. I would be tempted to treat the tank as well if any other fish look "off", but remember to take any carbon out of the filter.

Also check your water parameters in case you have had a nitrite or ammonia spike (local store may do these if you haven't got a kit)
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thank you everyone hubby enquired at the place we bought the fish from and he recommended esha 2000, its been added to the water and already the neon is showing signs of colour returning, we haven't isolated the other one we didn't know to so we are waiting to see if the white bubble on his mouth clears up with the treatment .

Comment

sadly the neon tetra died , the other with the white growth on his mouth seems happy enough the rest of his body is full of colour and he eats well and is swimming around happily .

I read on a forum that it could be a secondary infection so they recommended King British and i have been adding that to the water , others have said to put him in another tank and treat him with methylene blue to kill the infection .

Comment

It's a tricky one to call. In effect you're dosing the whole tank for the sake of one fish which could upset your filtration. On the other hand the fish seems happy so I can understand why you wouldn't want to put him on his own. Fungus is a secondary thing, it takes hold after a bacterial infection or an injury. It may clear up on it's own. If it's true 'mouth fungus' then that's something different that needs a specific treatment. For now if this was my tank I'd keep a close eye on things especially the water quality. Make sure the fish aren't stressed etc. Iirc, you need to remove the carbon from your filters as it'll filter out the treatments you're using but you can check this by reading any leaflets you have.

Also have a search on this subject but don't let it panic you.

columnaris treatment

Whilst looking like a fungus it's bacterial. Fungus is fluffy with strands.
                Last edited by mike'y; 15 March 2016, 16:37.

Comment

It's a tricky one to call. In effect you're dosing the whole tank for the sake of one fish which could upset your filtration. On the other hand the fish seems happy so I can understand why you wouldn't want to put him on his own. Fungus is a secondary thing, it takes hold after a bacterial infection or an injury. It may clear up on it's own. If it's true 'mouth fungus' then that's something different that needs a specific treatment. For now if this was my tank I'd keep a close eye on things especially the water quality. Make sure the fish aren't stressed etc. Iirc, you need to remove the carbon from your filters as it'll filter out the treatments you're using but you can check this by reading any leaflets you have.

Also have a search on this subject but don't let it panic you.

columnaris treatment

Whilst looking like a fungus it's bacterial. Fungus is fluffy with strands.
                  thanks will check it out .

Comment

still no improvement in fact we lost two more neon tetras and have two left with the white bubble growth on their mouths, i have treated the water two different antibiotics now and still no imporovement.

Going on holiday next Tuesday for a week so will do a water change when we get back and was thinking of treating the two tetras with methylene blue , can't think of anything else to do now .

Comment

Blimey I can remember in the 70s sitting up all night with a Shubunkin goldfish as it had broken a fin, to keep it company, it died at 7 a.m.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'd let nature run it's course. If you can quarantine that would be a good idea. I really wouldn't keep interfering with the water quality as that may have an adverse effect on the other fish. I think you've done all that you can.

Comment

I'd let nature run it's course. If you can quarantine that would be a good idea. I really wouldn't keep interfering with the water quality as that may have an adverse effect on the other fish. I think you've done all that you can.
                          The two neons with the white bubble on their mouths are lively and eat well , the others that died didn't have any of that but they had been mauled and their flesh was ripped so we we euthenised them in ice andand they both died instantly .

All together we have lost 8 fish we're down to 7 now .

I'm going to change the water though when i get back off holiday and replace the stones because at some point we lost a guppy and couldn't find it and it rotted somewhere in the tank we have a filter and a water bubble stone , the water is clear and shows no sign of algae which is good . But we still didn't find the dead guppy .

Comment

Seriously, I'd leave the water alone. It takes time to 'mature' the water. If you wanted to you could change a quarter and replace with tap water that's been stood for a day. The dead fish will probably have been eaten. Fish are cannibals. If you can't see it then there's not enough dead fish left/wastage to pollute the water. I'd leave the stones alone to.

When I kept tropical fish leaving the water alone was the best thing I ever learnt for my tank. I had fish that were 30 years old in there. Sometimes it might have been 8 weeks before I did a partial change. I never had a sick fish for years and years. In my early days all sorts of things would go wrong and I'd buy all the chemicals, do the water changes, study the books etc.

Also, be aware the fish you buy are usually severely traumatised by the time they arrive at the pet shop. They'll be drugged with all the chemicals on the planet and then they're kept in over crowded conditions so will be stressed. It's an uphill struggle for them. Peace and calm probably goes a long way on the road to recovery. :-)

Comment

Seriously, I'd leave the water alone. It takes time to 'mature' the water. If you wanted to you could change a quarter and replace with tap water that's been stood for a day. The dead fish will probably have been eaten. Fish are cannibals. If you can't see it then there's not enough dead fish left/wastage to pollute the water. I'd leave the stones alone to.

When I kept tropical fish leaving the water alone was the best thing I ever learnt for my tank. I had fish that were 30 years old in there. Sometimes it might have been 8 weeks before I did a partial change. I never had a sick fish for years and years. In my early days all sorts of things would go wrong and I'd buy all the chemicals, do the water changes, study the books etc.

Also, be aware the fish you buy are usually severely traumatised by the time they arrive at the pet shop. They'll be drugged with all the chemicals on the planet and then they're kept in over crowded conditions so will be stressed. It's an uphill struggle for them. Peace and calm probably goes a long way on the road to recovery. :-)
                              should i quarantine the two neons or leave them in the tank see if they recover , how about treating them with methylene blue ?

Comment

Working...
                              X