GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script SLOW COOKING - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLOW COOKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLOW COOKING

I know i am a) glad i finally got my slow cooker and B) glad i started this thread

xx

Comment

Can you use rice flour, conf, are are you off all carbs?
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I love my slow cooker

I don't have any special recipes...just tend to chuck in whatever I feel like and leave it cooking on low all day...even better if you've managed to get the meat cheap as a "whoopsie" at the supermarket. Make a whole load and freeze.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by confused76 View Post
          Great thread Loo, and some fabulous ideas!!

I only got my slow cooker recently (£15 from Aldi if anyone is looking for one).

I've made chicken soup in it a few times so far, using the carcass of a roasted chicken. yum yum.

Ohhh i did make a lovely beef stew as well, just chucked in a load of veg, the beef stew chunks raw, some beef stock, and left it for 6 hours. Divine!!

The only thing i'm struggling with at the moment is what to thicken with. I'm off flour products so corn flour is out. I tried arrowroot but it didn't work. I need to get my hands on some zanthan gum and see if that works!

I want to expand my slow cooking repertoire so these recipes are fab!
          use pearl barly to thicken or powdered mash
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

use a can/bottle of dark ale in your beef stew along with some stock yumm!!

Comment

you can also make a rice pudding in one

and mulled wine for those colder evenings
              Last edited by nightwatch; 26 October 2012, 15:15. Reason: memory loss

Comment

i am SO loving this thread

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
                  I know i am a) glad i finally got my slow cooker and B) glad i started this thread

xx
                  a) yeay and b) me toooo!!!

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                  Can you use rice flour, conf, are are you off all carbs?
                  oh, will look into that one...thanks. not off carbs per se, but i'm not having anything wheat related at the moment x

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                  use pearl barly to thicken or powdered mash
                  thanks, will look into that x

Comment

I thought cornflour was okay on a wheat and/or gluten free diet? I wouldn't take my word for it though, as I'm not sure...

sigpic

Comment

I thought cornflour was okay on a wheat and/or gluten free diet? I wouldn't take my word for it though, as I'm not sure...
                      *quick google* oh yes you're right diddles i am off all grains plus more though, so was trying to find an alternative. hope i haven't confused the thread

Comment

Egg yolk makes a nice velvety sauce for a casserole/stew too. But you have to treat it with great care!

You add a little of the juices to the egg yolk first , and slowly add more and more till you have a cupful mixed with the egg yolk; that way it won't scramble. Then you pour it back into the stew to thicken it. However, it mustn't get too hot

sigpic

Comment

Egg yolk makes a nice velvety sauce for a casserole/stew too. But you have to treat it with great care!

You add a little of the juices to the egg yolk first , and slowly add more and more till you have a cupful mixed with the egg yolk; that way it won't scramble. Then you pour it back into the stew to thicken it. However, it mustn't get too hot
                          sounds interesting diddles! i'd be gutted if i made a lovely stew and ended up with scrambled egg in it though

i'll try this one, thanks diddles xx

Comment

OK chilli is in and a cooking as we speak!! ))

Comment

Try to resist the urge to keep lifting the lid, as slow cooking is done at such a low wattage it does take time to build up the heat. I usually stir every 2 hours or so.

Good luck

MK
                              One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
                              Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Originally posted by mk_chatham View Post

Try to resist the urge to keep lifting the lid, as slow cooking is done at such a low wattage it does take time to build up the heat. I usually stir every 2 hours or so.

Good luck

MK
                                Its ok I am at work and slow cooker is at home rhahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X