GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bought a Car from the Police - Still Not Registered at DVLA - SAR the Police? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a Car from the Police - Still Not Registered at DVLA - SAR the Police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Car from the Police - Still Not Registered at DVLA - SAR the Police?

Hi

I bought a car from the police at auction almost a year ago - one that they had previously seized - and I have recently found that it is still not registered to me at DVLA.
    This has come to light as a camera van in a neighbouring county clocked me exceeding 70mph on a dual carriageway. The notice of intended prosecution was sent to me just over 14 days afterwards. I wrote back pointing out that it was out of time and should be withdrawn.
    They have written back saying that the NIP was sent (in time) to a department of their constabulary (from whom I had bought the car) as that was what was registered on the Police National Computer, so they had complied with legislation They will not withdraw the NIP.

I checked with DVLA, and I am not registered as the keeper/owner, so I will be sending them a V62 (V5c never received notification).
    I will be writing back to the police asking for an explanation as to how they are still the registered keeper. The question is this - I'm wondering about the adviseability of also sending them a SAR requesting all the records held relating to and arising from the sale/purchase of the vehicle, and the alleged speeding offence. There is a remote chance that they have cocked up in not sending the V5 Change of Owner to DVLA (although I suppose more likely lost in post or at DVLA).

They have also issued the Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, and I have about 3 weeks to respond to that.

I would like to blag them into not pursuing the alleged speeding (I was), as they may be blagging me to cover an error of their own.

Any thoughts folks?
    Last edited by Still Waving; 29 September 2013, 19:39.

Re: Bought a Car from the Police - Still Not Registered at DVLA - SAR the Police?

Makes my blood boil, my friend sold a car a few months ago, and forgot to send his part of the V5 off. Last week he had 5 police officers knock his front door down to arrest him for failure to notify the DVLA that the car had been sold. Hes due in court Tuesday.

What winds me up, is they seem to get away with it, yet we cant. This cant be fair.

I cant answer your questions but hopefully someone else can.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Bought a Car from the Police - Still Not Registered at DVLA - SAR the Police?

I've sent a letter to the police asking for an explanation as to how my car is still registered to them. I've also told them that I am proposing to SAR them, but asked them to respond specifically to my question anyway. I'll think a bit more about whether to actually SAR them.
      In the meantime I need to think about whether or not to respond to the Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty. They name their ticket office the 'Summary Justice Unit'. I think it should be the 'Highway Robbery Unit'.

Comment

Working...
      X