GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Clio 1.2 8V 00 Reg - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clio 1.2 8V 00 Reg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clio 1.2 8V 00 Reg

Cambelt - I know the kit is about £30, but is it a big job??

Also, is Water Pump ABSOLUTELY necessary at the same time?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Clio 1.2 8V 00 Reg

It depends how old the water pump is and what the chances of failure are after the timing belt has been changed.

Personally I would change it myself for peace of mind because if it did pack up it would mean changing the timing belt again because all that would have to come off again to change the water pump.

Say the same here:

Renault Clio Cambelt change - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum
    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 7 February 2013, 22:54.

Comment

car has done 90K and dont know of last change - so think needs doing
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would play save then and change the water pump at the same time, and specially as summer will soon be upon us.

Comment

Cam belt is not too difficult if you have changed one before, but as always research it on the internet first to see if any special tools or procedures are needed.

Also get a couple of quotes from garages then weigh up to see if it is a job worth doing yourself
          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 7 February 2013, 23:09.

Comment

Hi, Cambelt kits are cheap get the water pump pay a mechanic 100.00 on the side.

Comment

For the cost of a new water pump I'd be inclined to change it at the same time, especially if you're considering keeping the car for another couple of years.

The biggest cost of replacing a water pump is the labour so as you're there anyway, its literally a few bolts (easier said than done, but in theory..........) to replace.

If you have a friendly mechanic willing to only charge you £100 labour, and you've not done it before, I'd suggest going down this route, but ask them if they're willing to let you help so you have a bit more confidence next time. Trickiest part is ensuring getting the timing back right.

Best
              SnV
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

No point in renewing the timing belt and not doing the water pump.

U will have no piece of mind with a half done job! :

Comment

Have looked up full kits inc water pump, online - about £45/50 ....... some also show the timing settings - four markers if I am not mistaken.

I know a couple of people, so have put feelers out.

Comment

Are you looking to do this yourself oscar?

I've got the techbooks with the garage info for these models ..... Somewhere.....

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
                      Are you looking to do this yourself oscar?

I've got the techbooks with the garage info for these models ..... Somewhere.....
                      Maybe not all by myself, but not looking for a garage to do it for me. I have a couple of mates that are skilled mechanics.

Comment

No problem

Well worth changing the waterpump at the same time for the reasons others have posted.

I'm sure you'll be fine but if you hit any snags or need some timing mark loations ect - Get back to me and I will look it up

Comment

Please please don't do the timing belt with out doing the waterpump it will only fail pretty soon after the timing belt is done otherwise.

I am an ex mechanic and if you replace the belt then the new tension on the waterpump will only cause it to fail.

Don't be put off by timing belts I know there scary but its only a car at the end of the day. Giant size meccano really.

If your not totally confident though leave it to someone who is. Should be about £150 al in maybe a little more as I think engine mount has to come out for access.
                          Last edited by ey_137; 11 February 2013, 09:43. Reason: spelling

Comment

I probably will get some one to it for me, as I am not overly confident on getting it spot on - and with it being an interference engine, that could be costly!!

I know the kit is about £20, and the water pump about another £7 thereabouts (at least looking on the net that is).

However, in another issue - key fob doesnt appear to be working. Replaced the battery and still no joy - car opens with the key itself and starts ..... I have tried the holding the button and pointing the fob - but the light doesnt illuminate on the fob itself.

Key fob not a major issue - is only central locking after all, but is handy to have

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post

However, in another issue - key fob doesnt appear to be working. Replaced the battery and still no joy - car opens with the key itself and starts ..... I have tried the holding the button and pointing the fob - but the light doesnt illuminate on the fob itself.

Key fob not a major issue - is only central locking after all, but is handy to have
                              Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn the ignition on. Press and hold the lock button for no more than 5 secs. Taked it out, close the door and try it. If not, your key may be faulty, in need of more than just a battery change.

Not 100% but worth ago I had a peugeot 307 "siht box as I named it" happened to me a few times

Comment

Working...
                              X