GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Your right. She cried on the way home, said I never thought id get out of here, I think that was her biggest worry.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

So today my mother has had the district nurse, and RRAS Team round to see her. District nurse sorted out a commode for her to use as she has to transfer from wheelchair to toilet.

RRAS team were a nurse and social worker, took some notes and are putting some care in place for her. According to them she will receive a carer 3 times a day to help with morning wash, lunchtime dinner and getting her settled in the evening. This can last up to 6 weeks before they have to assess whether she qualifies for benefits towards care or whether she will need to pay for her own.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that the physio's will get her to a point where shes able enough to do those things herself. So hopefully, after 6 weeks she wont need them anyway. Plus I don't think she will qualify anyway.

Ive bought a keysafe system for outside the house so the nurses can enter if im not here, which is good.

She appeared to be stronger on her feet today standing, compared to yesterday but wont know the full extent until Monday/Tuesday when her OT's come round.

She seems happy, me on the other hand is full of worry. Worrying whether they will take care of her if im not here, worrying about whether ill actually get to go home and be with my family any time soon. Im completely shattered from it all.

I just pray to god that she gets enough strength back to be independent again without the need for full on support.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

you are doing great sx, any Mum would be proud of you. Just give her a wee while to get her bearings and a bit of strength back, remember she's been bedridden for a while, it takes a bit, has she got a stick to help her balance? and trust me she'll not be fond of that commode so she'll be wanting that gone as soon as poss.

Comment

I can only echo MrsD, you're a star SXGuy
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thanks guys, it seems every 5 minutes im holding back the tears, I guess its all still abit raw for the both of us.

She hasn't got a stick, the hospital gave her a walking frame, although im unsure how it will work in the house, different carpets in each room with dividers in the way etc. We will see.

Spoke to my wife earlier, she told me not to worry it will get better, I don't know what id do without her if im honest, its times like this you realise just how special people are.

If I take a step back, she has been really good today, ive had to make her stand at least 6 times, and shes managed it very well.
            Your right about it taking time because of how long shes been laying in a bed for. I just worry that with her heart failure she may never get any better than she is. I need to stop worrying and put my faith in her OT's to help her get back on track.

On a side note, one of the pills shes on for her heart (confirmed by dr at hospital) is causing her poop to be like black tar, its horrible, very sticky, how do they expect people to live like that? I need to get her a GP appointment to discuss alternatives.

Thank you for your support, it means a lot. At the moment I think my mother can see a light at the end of the tunnel more than I can, im just full of worries and what if's right now. Hopefully as time passes, those will get less and less.

Comment

time petal just time

Comment

Another hug from me
                "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

You are doing great SXguy, keep your chin up and you will get there I'm sure. There's no reason I can see why she shouldn't be able to return to reasonable mobility. It's just a matter of building her strength and muscles back up which have wasted due to the bed rest. Even if she'd had a paraplegia from the stroke they still do wonders in mobilising them nowadays.

Well done on encouraging her to stand. It's absolutely crucial at this stage to keep it up, encourage standing and walking as much as possible, both to strengthen her muscles and prevent deep vein thrombosis.

It's vital from a psychological aspect too, as it's all too easy for people to slip into an invalid mindset and convince themselves they'll be like that forever. I've seen it many times.
                  Thankfully your Mum sounds like a fighter, and the type most likely to succeed. Her pride will drive her to want to walk, use the proper toilet and sleep in her own bed. Keep reassuring her that she just needs to stick at it and she will. She may well surprise herself, and you.

Comment

PS: What's the heart tablet she's on? It's more usually iron that causes tarry stools..

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                      PS: What's the heart tablet she's on? It's more usually iron that causes tarry stools..
                      Thank you for your kind words.

its bisoprolol fumarate. 1.25mg a day, quite a low dose, compared to what ive read, Dr said it was that, I don't know. Your right its normally an iron problem. Only started 2 days ago.

Comment

That's a new one on me. Presumably the doc knows what he's on about but I'd monitor the situation, make sure there's no blood in there.

Comment

No blood that I can see, but im not sure if I would notice it, as its very black. smells a bit like bleach?

I think I will ring her GP tomorrow and try and get a home visit, or get my mum down to the surgery, it could be a liver issue, I do know the pills shes on disturbs liver function.

Comment

Actually, she's also on clopidogrel, which according to some websites, can cause black tarry stools, usually if you have a stomach ulcer. I know my mother has suffered for years with a delicate stomach. And prior to hospital admission she was increasing sick. In fact in hospital she was sick also but I don't think they took much notice.

Definitely need to ring the Dr tomorrow.

Comment

I would definitely get it checked out. She prob needs to do a faecal sample for occult blood. Black tarry stools is usually due to either iron supplements or altered (digested) blood originating in the upper part of the digestive tract. The fresher the blood the lower down in the system.

Comment

Hmmm clopidogrel inhibits clotting, so definitely get her checked. Is she on any gastric acid suppressants such as omeprazole or rantidine?

Comment

Working...
                                X