GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Is your Mum still on diuretics SXGuy? If so she'll be producing a lot more urine and the urge to go will be more urgent and more frequent. This should get better as her meds reduce but the inco nurse should advise. The nurses will have to keep a close watch for pressure sores developing. Might even be better for her to have a catheter in on a temp basis until it settles down. It could be a residual effect of the stroke, but such a long period of bedrest has it's part to play. Once she starts the crucial mobilising all her muscles will strengthen. Hopefully they'll teach her pelvic floor excercises too.
    If her needs are so great, would an interim convalescent stay in a nursing home be feasible?

Comment

She wouldn't go in to a nursing home Elsa, shes desperate to come home as it is. The thought of being away any longer is killing her.

Shes still on diuretics, fluid on her legs has now reduced a lot, but its still visable from her shine bone, down to her feet, although he feet are no where near as swollen as they were.

Think shes on 2.5mg of diuretics, should be reduced to 1.25mg when its clear. Im unsure whether she will come off them completely? no one has said.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would imagine they'll phase them out if possible if the oedema goes completely, particularly if they decide the cause was transient and not Congestive Heart Failure.

Comment

the swelling will improve as she moves around a bit and her own pride will help as well

but it's back to squeaking for you, fraid you're going to be the rusty gate until everything gets back to normal. You just have to keep asking until they've got her sorted out and ensconced back in her life

just be aware she is telling the staff and you the truth, my mil smiles a lot says everything is fine when in fact it isn't but she just hates the whole carry on with hospitals and doctors, she once went on holiday up a mountain in Switzerland on a train, with a broken knee because the first junior doctor she saw at hospital said something like "oh no need to make a fuss it's not really badly swollen", so make sure she is being 100% honest and I'd still get a second opinion as they still don't seem to have any firm answers

Comment

transient heart failure would make sense as this has all happened since she found it hard to breath, she doesn't find it hard to now the fluid has gone, apart from a low BP (Which she has always had) her vitals are stable. However, no doctor has told me whether its congestive or transient.

Im def going to seek a 2nd independent opinion when shes able to move around. It just doesn't sit with me that her symptoms came on so rapidly.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
              the swelling will improve as she moves around a bit and her own pride will help as well

but it's back to squeaking for you, fraid you're going to be the rusty gate until everything gets back to normal. You just have to keep asking until they've got her sorted out and ensconced back in her life

just be aware she is telling the staff and you the truth, my mil smiles a lot says everything is fine when in fact it isn't but she just hates the whole carry on with hospitals and doctors, she once went on holiday up a mountain in Switzerland on a train, with a broken knee because the first junior doctor she saw at hospital said something like "oh no need to make a fuss it's not really badly swollen", so make sure she is being 100% honest and I'd still get a second opinion as they still don't seem to have any firm answers
              Yes I agree, my mother is the same, sometimes what she tells me isn't exactly how it was said, and im forever having to double check with the nurse or doctor. Im hoping that being at home makes her feel better. I did say to her, you must try and recover at home, don't get lazy or give in, and her response was, of course, I may as well be dead living like this for the rest of my life.

I will give my mother credit, she is the most determined person I know, so if anyone can do it, she can.

Im off to a local mobility shop soon, to see if they will hire out a wheelchair for the day so I can get her out the car and in the house, I'm unsure whether the hospital will provide her one short term, but the dr has said, it would be quicker to get one private long term as NHS will take months.

Comment

The local mobility shop had none free to hire, but luckly I found the british red cross only down the road, they were more than happy to help. For a £20 donation they gave me a bath seat to keep, and a wheelchair which she can use for up to 2 months. Really helped a lot. No longer worried about getting her home now.

Comment

Brilliant, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    a wheelchair which she can use for up to 2 months
                    Oh, good.

I'm sure she'll find that much more comfortable than a wheel barrow.

If there's a "shopmobility" charity near you, you might be able to borrow a powered wheelchair or scooter.

Comment

• Re: Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

We have a shop mobility place at our local shopping centre so will look in to it.

Mum is now home and settled catching up on Eastenders. Waiting for an OT to pop round at 4pm to asses her needs. Social worker is coming Monday.

Was a slight delay in her discharge, left arm not knowing what the right is doing etc, but its all been sorted.

Comment

That's good news SXguy. Bet she can't wait to sleep in her own bed!

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                          That's good news SXguy. Bet she can't wait to sleep in her own bed!
                          haha well, her OT came round earlier, because they haven't assessed her at home yet, she didn't want her going up stairs, so she has to sleep on the sofa till Monday.

Ive made it in to a bed for her, and no sooner than 2 minutes she was asleep. So long as shes happy that's all that matters. My wife is coming round Monday with the baby, which I cant wait for, miss them so much, as much as I love my mum I cant wait til I can go home again and know that mum has the care she needs in place.

Comment

She is lucky to have you as a son.

Comment

Thank you. She keeps getting upset saying, I don't know what id do with out you, and I keep telling her, why worry about it, you have got me.

The way I see it, she has always been there for me, through everything, its only right I do the same for her.

Comment

It is a confidence thing, having a health scare and then all responsibility taken from you in hospital it takes a while to believe in yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X