GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Forgot to mention something else that wound me up abit.

Previous to the drain, they had her on 2Lpm of oxygen therapy which was increased to 3L prior to the fluid drain, this was obviously replacing lost blood oxygen due to the lung collapsing.

Today, she has been on 1Lpm of oxygen therapy, and her vitals show her blood oxygen (SP02) being 97%, great, that's just where it should be. However, the nurses have been reporting her oxygen as being 2Lpm.

When the nurse came to take her vitals, I pointed this out to her, and she went away and came back and said, oh it should be 2L and turned it up.

I said to her, I hope this hasn't changed her score (They give her person a score based on a number of factors, this score then tells them how often to monitor) The nurse said, oh no that doesn't effect the score, ok fair enough I thought.

But the point I am making is, she clearly doesn't need as much as she did, perhaps doesn't even need it at all now, but do the nurses have the authority to turn it down, or does this have to come from the Dr? prob the Dr.

Anyway this has only made me more determined to get a second opinion once shes out of hospital.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Blimey what a carry on SX but what would she have done without you I dread to think.

Sending my best wishes and hope she comes home soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
        Blimey what a carry on SX but what would she have done without you I dread to think.

Sending my best wishes and hope she comes home soon.
        I know, my mum said to me, I don't trust them, that's why im glad your here, because you question everything and notice things, they just think im some stupid old woman and because I cant speak as clear as I used to, they get away with murder lol
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hey guys. Mother is good today, a little uncomfortable because of the fluid drain needle in her back, but being managed with paracetomol.

It seems they have cleared all the fluid now, last count was 3555ml. Last 8 readings have been the same, so its not draining any more.

She was booked in for a ct scan today, but it hadn't happened by the time I left at 7pm. So I reckon it will probably be tomorrow morning.

Once the ct scan confirms its clear, it will be a matter of days before she will be discharged. Havent found out if the fluid analaysis has shown anything, but her Dr should be around tomorrow so I will find out then.

Blood oxygen has been a steady 97% all day with 2Lpm of oxygen, will ask the dr, but got a feeling she wont need it once shes discharged. (I think they have to reduce it gradually before taking her off completely)

All in all shes in a good mood and appears to be very well, doesn't seem to have any breathlessness anymore while stationary, but until she starts to move around again I wont know if its completely gone.

I should imagine it will take a while to build her strength back up as shes been bed bound for over a week now due to breathing and now the chest drain.

Will update when I know more.

Comment

That's sounding much better, hopefully she will be out within a few days.

Comment

Sounding good SXGuy. Really important to get her mobilising gently once that drain comes out as prolonged bed rest is the enemy. Have they been getting her out of bed yet or encouraging leg exercises?

Comment

you've done a great job with being the squeaky gate, disgraceful that you've got to do this but important for your Mum.

so glad she's feeling better, there should be a patient council kind of thing in the hospital, might be a thought to have a word with them about nurses making decisions etc. Do all the nurses speak good English? had a local problem here with a Doctor from Norway who couldn't quite grasp the local accent, he thought asthma had nothing to do with your lungs (this was someone who was going to have an operation)just make sure they all understand what is being said and can read good English tell your Mum well done, she's doing great!

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                  Sounding good SXGuy. Really important to get her mobilising gently once that drain comes out as prolonged bed rest is the enemy. Have they been getting her out of bed yet or encouraging leg exercises?
                  The first two weeks, the OT's were taking her to the Gym for exercise, which all went well, its only been the last week shes been bed bound due to the drain. Not sure if they will be doing anything else with her now, but I will do some gentle exercises with her at home.

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                  you've done a great job with being the squeaky gate, disgraceful that you've got to do this but important for your Mum.

so glad she's feeling better, there should be a patient council kind of thing in the hospital, might be a thought to have a word with them about nurses making decisions etc. Do all the nurses speak good English? had a local problem here with a Doctor from Norway who couldn't quite grasp the local accent, he thought asthma had nothing to do with your lungs (this was someone who was going to have an operation)just make sure they all understand what is being said and can read good English tell your Mum well done, she's doing great!
                  No problem there, they are all English or English speaking, no trouble understanding, I just think it was an error on their part. Wasn't a big error on the scale of things, however I wouldn't have been happy had they told me her vitals are worse because they accidently lowered her oxygen level.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    I know, my mum said to me, "They just think I'm some stupid old woman and ... I can't speak as clearly as I used to"
                    People also thought that about "Lady" Thatcher.

But, in her case, they were right.
                    Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 24 March 2014, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                      had a local problem here with a Doctor from Norway who couldn't quite grasp the local accent, he thought asthma had nothing to do with your lungs
                      Does he also work for ATOS as a disability "assessor"?

Comment

dunno Clogs but he wrote it down cos I watched him..................

Comment

My mother is being discharged tomorrow at 12pm. an OT is being sent round her home at 2:45pm.

Dr didn't really want to discharge her yet, as they still do not know what caused the fluid, but hes confident that all the anti biotics she has had, it was likely to be an infection which is now clear. She doesn't appear to be producing any more fluid.

However, he is happy to let her go, and so its been done.

One of the nurses have advised that they need to sort out an incontence nurse, as they believe she may be having trouble. I don't really know, she has been stuck in her bed for over a week, today was the first day she actually got out and in to the chair, she has hardly any strength, less than she had prior to the fluid on her chest, and I wonder whether she just passes urine etc because its easier than having to keep calling the nurses to help her.

She feels that when shes home she will make more of an effort, I reserve judgement.

On one hand im pleased shes coming home, on the other, im really anxious about how she is going to cope moving forward, and whether rehabilitation will give her some independence back.

On top of that, I have my own family who need me, and althought im prepared to be here for a week or 2, I cant stay 24/7 forever. The OT's have assured me that nurses will be around quite a lot to care for her needs, but its all new to me, so I wait to see what happens.

I know when my father had cancer and lost his mobility we saw no one, so im abit worried to be honest.

I guess its all because this is new for me, and I don't know what to expect, or whether they will provide adequate care for her if I cant always be around.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                            One of the nurses have advised that they need to sort out an incontence nurse, as they believe she may be having trouble. I don't really know, she has been stuck in her bed for over a week, today was the first day she actually got out and in to the chair, she has hardly any strength, less than she had prior to the fluid on her chest, and I wonder whether she just passes urine etc because its easier than having to keep calling the nurses to help her.
                            I read that as "she has been stuck to her bed for over a week" and wondered if she has diabetes which made her urine all sticky.

She feels that when shes home she will make more of an effort, I reserve judgement.
                            Get a supply of Tena "Comfort Super" piddle pads - "Comfort Plus" just are not sufficiently capacious.

Comment

Ive got her a pack of the pants they do, 7 days worth, Ill need to get more, the hospital have said they will supply her with pads, but they are really horrible, need netting pants to hold them, pull ups would be a lot more easier and probably more dignified.

Comment

The piddle pads I recommended can fit quite comfortably in ordinary briefs - they'll just not be at all feminine!

Comment

Working...
                                X