GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice Funeral Pre-Payment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Funeral Pre-Payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Funeral Pre-Payment

Anyone considered or done this??

I am looking into it at the moment.

I want to be buried but Mr O wants cooking, so my parents are looking into a family plot so they can go in, and my sister and i can go in too, as she has no significant other and we decided we'll go face the worms together. I am only considering this so we can all be near each other!!

Is it worth just buying a plot from the Parish Church, or should i consider prepaying for my funeral?

Re: Advice Funeral Pre-Payment

Choice wise, I would imagine this has to be something for you personally to decide with your family.

In terms of legalities I don't know that the parish church would be the place to start as many cemetries are owned and cared for by local authorities.

This link should hopefully give you a way forward:

What to do after a death

Comment

Hi OS,

Don't have a lot of experience with this really. We bought from the remains of OH's fathers money a complete funeral for her handicapped younger brother so should anything happen to all of us at least he will be looked after. There are two family graves in the local cemetery, one is very old. However due to various differing wishes similar to your own we asked about interring the ashes of those wishing to be cremated in those graves, they wanted £1000 to open up the grave to put the ashes in and all it entails is them using a three inch diameter diamond cutter to open the top and pouring the ashes into the resulting cavity.

The more modern of the two graves was infact purchased in its entirety from the local authority and was licensed for three internments. In fact only two were done but the grave has be dug to the correct depths we were told to meet the requirements of the last one being 6 feet below ground level. In some areas this is not achievable so it is worth checking before proceding with multiple burials.

Sorry to sound morbid but it more and more seems like big business than a genuine altruistic matter.

regards
      Garlok
      Last edited by garlok; 30 July 2011, 14:05.

Comment

Our mum in law has an over 50's insurance policy that will take care of all her burial needs she also has a plot where here hubby is buried so she wants to go there.

As for me I would much rather be cremated and the ashes spread in the wilderness of the great British countryside.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by overspender View Post
          I want to be buried but Mr O wants cooking, so my parents are looking into a family plot so they can go in, and my sister and i can go in too, as she has no significant other and we decided we'll go face the worms together. I am only considering this so we can all be near each other!
          Tremors, anyone......

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by overspender View Post
            Mr O wants cooking
            By boiling, frying, roasting or being barbecued?

How does he think his remains should be marinaded?

Does he recommend a claret to accompany him, or the more traditional Chianti?

Comment

My MIL says she's going to dance on my grave.

So I'm gonna be buried at sea!

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                My MIL says she's going to dance on my grave.

So I'm gonna be buried at sea!
                So that's why she's thinking about booking a cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  By boiling, frying, roasting or being barbecued?

How does he think his remains should be marinaded?

Does he recommend a claret to accompany him, or the more traditional Chianti?
                  As someone who used to be a bit of a wine buff, perhaps I could recommend two wines for the occasion, Ballet of Angels (if heading upwards) or if heading the opposite way, perhaps a nice bottle of Devil Head.

Comment

well , i was just browsing and saw this thread , before too long , me and my wife are going to have to arrange a funeral for a loved one , who has laready paid to be put with her husband , its really awkward though because we are nt sure how to breach the subject about where the details are , and how much we will have to pay to have the `job` completed

Sounds harsh , but we are trying to be realistic , she has no money , just the house , and as above a plot with her husband , so how longs a piece of string in regards of how much will it cost!

still , thats why we are there ,familys look out for each other and we promised we would look after her , she`s a darling old thing , 91 and dementia setting in rapidly , sadly

for me , quick end please , and scattered off the cliffs at St Ives !

Comment

Might be an idea to do a bit of "market research" and ring an undertaker. Say you want to be buried with your wife in the family plot and ask for an estimate so that you can make sure you leave your relatives enough to cover it...

When it comes to the sad time, it might be easier to deal with the undertaker who buried your aunt's husband as they'll be familiar with the area/procedure.

Comment

Do not be alarmed folks = I will still be at that door flogging you shovels outside as you arrive to go inside, mention AAD and I will give you discount being such a nice guy.!!
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                        X