GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Elderly relative and housing benefit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderly relative and housing benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly relative and housing benefit

Hiya

Wonder if I could just a quick question for an elderly relative. His youngest son is moving back in with him to give him support in day to day activities as his health and mobility are not what they were. He's an OAP and currently receives housing and council tax benefit and is concerned about how this will be affected if his son moves in. The son works full time.

Many thanks

Re: Elderly relative and housing benefit

Sorry can't help , but you know us someone will be along .how are you ?
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks nanna. I'm really good thank you :-) x

Comment

Hi stressedoutmum,
        If your relative's son moves in with him giving up his former home then yes, it would affect his father's Housing and Council Tax Benefit as his son's full time income would be taken into account. However, if he did move in then one would assume that he'd pay his share of the bills from his wage, in which case wouldn't his dad be better off?

Elsa x

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsathink it04
          Hi stressedoutmum,
          If your relative's son moves in with him giving up his former home then yes, it would affect his father's Housing and Council Tax Benefit as his son's full time income would be taken into account. However, if he did move in then one would assume that he'd pay his share of the bills from his wage, in which case wouldn't his dad be better off?

Elsa x
          Thank you Elsa. Yes i think it makes sense that would be the case. I'm not entirely sure if the son is giving up their current residence entirely. I think they will need to make sure if he does that he is officially registered on the tenancy in case anything happens to his dad and he ends up homeless. I don't know much about social housing.

Thanks

Comment

Succession rights of relatives

Rules for inheriting a secure council tenancy depend on when the tenancy began if you are a relative of a council tenant who has died.
            Tenancies that started on or after 1 April 2012

You can only inherit a relative's tenancy that started on or after 1 April 2012 if the tenancy agreement says this can happen.
            Tenancies that started before 1 April 2012

You can inherit a relative's tenancy that started before 1 April 2012 if:
            • the tenancy was your home at the time the tenant died
            • you were living with tenant for at least 12 months before they died
            • no-one else has a stronger claim to inherit the tenancy

It doesn't matter where you lived with your relative in the 12 months before they died. If you moved home, time spent living in another property counts.
            Relatives who can inherit a council tenancy

You count as a relative of a council tenant who can inherit the tenancy of a council tenant who dies if you are their:
            • parent or grandparent
            • child or grandchild
            • brother or sister
            • uncle, aunt, nephew or niece

(From the Shelter website: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ouncil_tenancy )

I would strongly advise having a talk to CAB first about the rent/CT issue. The rules are a minefield. Eg If his dad is on DLA (Care Component) or Attendance Allowance it might make a difference.

Hope it works out for them,

Elsa x

Comment

You should also get him assessed for pension credits and attendance allowance.

Comment

Thanks so much guys for your advice. It's very much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X