GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Overpayment of Tax Credits - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overpayment of Tax Credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment of Tax Credits

So I claimed Tax Criedts when my son was first born and supposivly the first year they told me I had an overpayment of 247.00 therefore I told them I don't want anymore payments from them

they said fine and that they would send out some sort of "giro" slip to collect the payments. (I claimed and got overpayment for the 2009-2010 tax year)

Now I got two letters dated the same date but received 1 week apart..

1 says: You owe us 247.00 (which I agree) it then goes on to say that I will get a letter telling me how to pay.

2 says: Heres how to pay BTW you owe us 647.00 now....

So I call them up.. and NOW they are telling me I owe 847.00

because I was advised by a tax officer not to fill in my declaration as I didn't want to claim and he told me he was writing down I didn't want to claim (and payments stopped so i guess it worked)

but the guy told me today I owe the whole amount because I didn't claim so they couldn't get their money back *(again going back 2 years here) and therefore more overpayments (even though I didn't get a payment) has happend???

Im really confused -- he's sending out dispute forms but really I haven't been in the UK long enough or ever claimed anything before to know what to do.

Re: Overpayment of Tax Credits

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
    I haven't been in the UK long enough or ever claimed anything before to know what to do.
    Does this mean you are (in the words of Col. Sibthorpe - link) a "suspicious foreigner"?
    Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 30 August 2011, 00:43.

Comment

Jen

See the attached: ---> Repaying overpaid tax credits : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

To dispute an overpayment amount - the following link is necessary: ---> HM Revenue Customs: How to dispute a tax credits overpayment
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks will do! Is there a staute on how long they can go back!?

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
            Thanks will do! Is there a staute on how long they can go back!?
            Forever - government debts do not become SB - ever!

Comment

Jen, do you recall roughly when in the year this happened? Did you cancel the claim for the current year, or ask to cancel once that year had come to an end.

The reason I ask is if you cancelled for the current year (as it was at the time) then you wouldn't be entitled to any of the payments made from April of that tax year, so as the renewals forms are generally not recieved until may/june time it's quite possible they're asking for the overpayment from the previous year (April - April = £247) PLUS any payments you'd received from the April to when you cancelled approx £600
              That would have been, say over 8 weeks, £75.00 pw, so not a lot on it's own, but soon adds up

Hope that helps

Always x

Comment

First they claim Jen "owes" £247, then it was £647, then it became £847, all with about as much reasoning or explanation as a bastard bailiff's bill.

One could be forgiven for suggesting that the office calculator might be broken or that it should be operated by someone with thinner fingers.

Comment

CC, you're presuming of course that they have already graduated from the abacus between 30 staff lol

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysskint View Post
                    CC, you're presuming of course that they have already graduated from the abacus between 30 staff lol
                    Yes. I'm also assuming they know the difference between octal and denary - base eight and base ten arithmetic - and that the person who counts on his/her fingers has no digits missing.

Comment

Shit! So that's why my maths is so bad then? I went to the Cabot school of maths in the sewer. Maybe you've heard of it?

The best was my stint at crapquest united; these guys taught me how to pick on a wounded animal, how best to kick them whilst down snd best of all - how to rob the buggers at the end of it when they're totally defeated and out of fight.

You know what? I quit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Shit! So that's why my maths is so bad then? I went to the Cabot school of maths in the sewer. Maybe you've heard of it?
                        Luxury! We used to dream about going to school in a sewer!

The best was my stint at crapquest united; these guys taught me how to pick on a wounded animal, how best to kick them whilst down snd best of all - how to rob the buggers at the end of it when they're totally defeated and out of fight.

Comment

Avoid the issue of having to pay for an 0845 number from your Mobile:
                          HMRC Landline Number Tel: 01355-359022
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                          X