GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Self employed NI contributions - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self employed NI contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self employed NI contributions

Hi,
    2 years ago i registered with HMRC for being self employed. Fair play, the helpline was really helpful. I explained i wasn't sure how much (if at all) money i would be earning in addition to my employed position although they said it wasn't a problem and that they would stick me down as low earnings which is exempt from contributions.

Both self assessments i have entered no earnings outside PAYE which has been fine although i received a letter recently (dont have it on me at the moment unfortunately) asking for payment.
    I wrote back saying i have never earned anything outside employment although they wrote back saying when you are registered as self employed you have to pay them although if there are any discrepancies with the dates to inform them of the correct dates.

Any ideas if i will have to pay this, and if so how much it is likely to be?

Thanks
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Self employed NI contributions

we haven't paid ours in 2 years not earning enough, i'm sure you don't have to pay NI if your not earning enough , we got a bill for 800 quid which was also arrears but hubby phoned and told them that we haven't made enough and we haven't heard anything from them since.
    Last edited by Spent2much; 27 December 2012, 23:41.

Comment

Hiya
      Thanks for coming back to me. I'm going to call them too and ill let you know what happens. Cheers!
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hmm, actually what they could be asking for is Class 2 National Insurance, which is an additional NI all self employed pay, well i say all, most dont because HMRC forget its owed.

But If its NI then yes you dont owe it if you earned nothing under self employment.

Remember, its your total earnings that are worked out whether ni and tax is due, so if you earned £100 under SA and 9000 in PAYE you would have paid tax and ni on the 9000, but obviously there would be some owing on £100 as well.

They are added together to get a total figure.

Comment

ours is class2 NI and because we don't earn enough we don't have to pay it .There are exemptions look here .

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/class2.htm

Comment

Class 2 subs are assumed to be paid regardless of profit or turnover. If you earn or expect to earn below around about £5k then you should be applying for a Class 2 Exceptions certificate. Lasts for 2 years and means that HMRC don't keep hassling you.

Comment

ok, apply for one now, telephone HMRC and explain you forgot or didnt know u had to do this, but its since been done, they wont penalise you for this type of thing, they will stop bugging you.

Comment

Hiya,
                Thanks for the replies and sorry for the slow reply (moving at the moment so it's a bit manic )
                I haven't got my hands on the letter yet although definitely was registered for exception when I initially registered as self employed so will work on that with them.

Thanks to everyone on this . Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                X