GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Colleagues being made redundant - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colleagues being made redundant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colleagues being made redundant

Hello all

Where i work the company is centralising the administration functions so whereas we previously had purchase ledger, customer services personnel at divisional level they are now being transferred to one centre.

Currently 6 colleagues have been told they are being made redundant - told being the operative word too - and the company is being really sneaky.

I asked for voluntary redundancy because it would have given me the money I need to pay for my degree courses and the free time would have meant me being able to complete my degree in a shorter time.

When I asked I was told that my job might not necessarily be filled and that they needed to keep hold of certain skills at divisional level. Really this means 'we need someone here to deal with any rubbish leftover after the changes'.

I have also noticed that certain other colleagues have suddenly had work taken from them so they don't have to do any overtime.

So a couple of q's. The people being made redundant, if they find out that some people would take voluntary redundancy and that the company is purposefully cutting some peoples overtime as well would they have a case against the company?

Just being curious really.

Re: Colleagues being made redundant

I cant see how personally. You would have to ask, why are they being made redundant and why are they reducing overtime. It is up to the company to make cut backs if they need to.

For example, if they could no longer afford to pay every member of staff, you would logically assume that some would be made redundant to reduce costs.

This might not be fair in terms of employment, but its within the rights of the company to do this.

Thats just one example.

As for people made redundant finding out some would have accepted voluntary redundancy, first you should ask, is it legal for a company to offer redundancy or force it. i think its legal for both, so personally, i cant see how anyone not offered voluntary redundancy has a point of argument.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, the overtime is being cut back after it was highlighted by some being made redundant that certain colleagues do overtime week in week out so why can't a job be created.

This has happened previously, overtime was cut back until people being made redundant left the company and then overtime was allowed again.

the company keep saying they will do all they can to redeploy people, it just seems a logical answer to accept voluntary redundancies but apparently they don't want to open the floodgates for everyone to apply for it.
      Last edited by mrs bucket; 17 March 2012, 13:00.

Comment

ive also known companies to make people redundant and then reopen their position but call it another name to get around it. Even known them to make someone re-apply for their own job this way.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Apologies re above.

Imho, voluntary arrangements are what they say on the tin - voluntary.

I don't think that they are subject to any 'law', & usually they are 'by invitation'.

Therefore, the employer may refuse the application.

An exception could be if there were 'protected characteristics' issues. (ie disability, race, gender etc).

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            Apologies re above.

Imho, voluntary arrangements are what they say on the tin - voluntary.

I don't think that they are subject to any 'law', & usually they are 'by invitation'.

Therefore, the employer may refuse the application.

An exception could be if there were 'protected characteristics' issues. (ie disability, race, gender etc).
            Such as being the firm's token black, lesbian cripple?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Such as being the firm's token black, lesbian cripple?
              Only if there was evidence of discrimination on these grounds, & if it wasn't 'proportional to achieve a legitimate aim'

Comment

I'm hoping I will be in the next round of redundancies. In every other division there is one administrator for my department however we have two.

fingers crossed

I just feel sorry for the ones who are being made to go - even though a couple used to do my job.

Comment

Working...
                X