GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Worried sick about overpayment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried sick about overpayment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried sick about overpayment

So glad i have found this forum three weeks ago a letter arrived from the DWP telling me i had a interview with a compliance officer i had to google what this was and found out it was some sort of fraud investigator.So i rang the number on the letter and was told that i was over the limit of £6000 and that i had been overpaid so i had the interview and toldthe lady i had no idea about savings limit i have £10000 in savings and told her i want to repay it all in one go to get it sorted and off my mind as i am worried sick.Does anyone know how long it will take for the DWP to send a letter telling me how much i owe them and once i have payed it will my Income support go back to the correct level as at the moment with having the savings it has gone down any help advice would be most welcome as i am caring for me elderly father who is my main concern i am losing sleep and not really wanting to eat much thanks for reading my post.

Re: Worried sick about overpayment

Hi didn't want to read and run , stay calm someone will be along to help xx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibby View Post
      So glad i have found this forum three weeks ago a letter arrived from the DWP telling me i had a interview with a compliance officer i had to google what this was and found out it was some sort of fraud investigator.So i rang the number on the letter and was told that i was over the limit of £6000 and that i had been overpaid so i had the interview and toldthe lady i had no idea about savings limit i have £10000 in savings and told her i want to repay it all in one go to get it sorted and off my mind as i am worried sick.Does anyone know how long it will take for the DWP to send a letter telling me how much i owe them and once i have payed it will my Income support go back to the correct level as at the moment with having the savings it has gone down any help advice would be most welcome as i am caring for me elderly father who is my main concern i am losing sleep and not really wanting to eat much thanks for reading my post.
      Hi there and welcome to AAD

Try not to worry, a compliance officer visit is normal - and happens thousands of times a week for claimants. Usually they visit you at home, is this how your letter reads?

So, the reason they visit is usually to check everything is correct with your claim, so it would ask for bank statements and stuff like that - just to verify and back-up what you are saying / claiming. However if you've had a genuine overpayment then they will accept repayments to pay it back - don't offer the lump sum and leave yourself short. However if it is fraud, then they may take action and refuse the offer to repay as they'd look at criminal action instead (they always do - no exceptions otherwise all claimant cheats could repay the fraud and get away scott free).

So we'd need more info so we can best help, but it's really nothing to worry about if everything is innocent - overpayments can occur for various reasons but so long as you did not deliberately lie about income etc then you'll be fine.

Can you elaborate on how they say the overpayment arose and whether there was anything questionable on your claim - for instance, why is there an overpayment? Did you fail to tell them of a material change or could they have it wrong and they have reduced a benefit without telling you which may, after the interview, mean the OP is revoked? I don't know hence the need for additional information.

Thanks
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi the reason for the overpayment is i had no idea about the DWP limit on savings was £6000 and over the four years i have been claiming Income support and Care allowance for looking after my father it has crept up to its present level of about £10000.I explained this to the Compliance Officer and she asked to see my Bank Statements witch i agreed to as i have nothing to hide so i singed a form to allow her to calculate the overpayment i also told her i would like to repay it in one go so its all sorted and off my mind.I was hoping some one would be able to give me some idea how long this process will take as i just want a end to it i have enought to deal with being a full time carer.I recived a letter from the DWP informing me my income support is now at a lower lever due to me having savings but as i understand once i have repayed what i owe my savings will be well below the £6000 limit and the income support with return to the higher lever as i say i just want it sorting as it is getting me down thanks in advance for any help and replies.
        Last edited by Tibby; 27 November 2015, 17:24.

Comment

Yes that's correct. Once the OP is settled; as your savings will drop below the threshold, then your IS *should* return to normal.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has took the time to reply to my problem and have made things seem not as bad as when the letter from the DWP first arived so now its just a matter of waiting for the letter telling me how much i owe them.

Comment

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has took the time to reply to my problem and have made things seem not as bad as when the letter from the DWP first arived
              It's our pleasure to help

Do you have any other money worries which we can help you to resolve ?

Plan B x

Comment

Thankfully this is the only worry i have was hoping some one may know how long the DWP take to send the letter telling me how much i have been overpaid so i can pay them back and put a end to the misery and worry i am under at the moment

Comment

I know it is easier to say than do, but try not to worry. These government departments are notoriously slow moving. You have answered truthfully with evidence so your letter will arrive. Please let us know how you get on, or if there are any other problems.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thankfully this is the only worry i have was hoping some one may know how long the DWP take to send the letter telling me how much i have been overpaid so i can pay them back and put a end to the misery and worry i am under at the moment
                    It can take around 21 days from the date of visit. Thing is, if they suspect fraud then that's entirely different but assuming that you had a home visit and showed evidence and didn't lie then you're right - they'll request the OP be repaid either in one lump sum or via your weekly benefit.

If however you were called into dwp (JC+) for a formal interview under caution then you'll likely not get a repayment letter - more a knock at the door by the boys in blue. But that's worse case assuming it was fraudulent which really doesn't sound the case here.

Just sit tight. They'll contact you as and when. Of course the sooner it's repaid then the sooner your restriction will end so you'll get full entitlement again. Secret is, don't save as much this time. Use as much as you can and try and enjoy some form of livelihood.

Keep us updated and try not to worry. You've done the right things and now you're just awaiting the assessment decision. Won't be long.

Comment

I had the interview at the Jobcentre on the 17 November the lady seemed ok with what i told her and as i told her it is a genuine mistake on my part it was not under caution she just said i have been over the limit allowed and ask me to sign a form so she could ask the bank to allow her to see my statements so she could work the overpayment out. I am glad it only takes about 21 days as i had got it into my head it would take months to sort things out once its all repaid how will the DWP know i am below the limit set by them on savings do i have to show some bank statements to prove it to them.The reason i have saved a bit as being a full time carer i dont go any where to spend much money just on heating and shopping but i am going do do as you have told me and spend it on a newer car some time in the future.The thing that puzzles me is why did the DWP let the overpayment carry on for so long and as i say i cant thank all of enough you who have replied and helped me so much and once i have got it sorted out i will let you all know as there is nothing worse than leaving people hanging not knowing how the story ended take care bye for now
                      Last edited by Tibby; 29 November 2015, 14:22.

Comment

Well after months of worry got letter and not as bad a i was thinking it would be so paying that off this week any idea how i then prove my capital has dropped so the DWP adjusts me Income support and i would like to say to all those who took the time to reply and give me advice thank you all very much

Comment

Thanks for updating us Tibby.

I'm not certain about proving your capital has dropped. Maybe write them a letter informing them of a change?
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

And supply photocopies of anything that backs up what you have to say?

Comment

Hello well the ongoing saga carries on i supplied photo copies of my bank statement three weeks ago and never heard a thing from the DWP about my IS so i phoned them last Friday turns out the women who dealt with my case had not sent any of my details to the correct department so i now have to resend all my bank statements as well as my NS&I account witch is postal only so now waiting for a up to date statement from them and yesterday i received a letter the DWP saying my IS has been suspended till i give them all the details they need to work out what level of IS i am due to so i wonder if while my IS suspended when its all sorted out will i get it backdated or will it start fresh from the date they get all my details any help or advice would be very welcome thanks in advance take care bye for now

Comment

Working...
                              X