GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council Tax refunds - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tax refunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax refunds

Hi to all

There is a letter doing the rounds in our area. A company called Randall & Vickers is suggesting our home is possibly in the incorrect tax band for council tax.

They claim they can go back to 1993 and get a refund from the council if they can get us reclassified to the lower band. They state another person in our street was reclassified to the next band down. This is a NO WIN NO FEE offer and we only pay 25% + VAT of the refund amount if they win and we get a refund.

It sounds fishy to me, almost too good to be true so I thought I would ask you guys if this has appeared elsewhere? If the classification error is correct then what is to stop me claiming it direct from the council myself?

Cheers

MJ
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Re: Council Tax refunds

Exactly, Mauijim.
    I had my house rebanded years ago.
    Search here and compare your banding with similar properties on your street:
    http://www.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

Plenty of DIY advice on the web, but there can be a sting in the tail. You can't simply ask the council to reduce the banding, you have to have a reassessment, so unless you're on the highest band and have nothing to lose, you could end up paying more if they reassess it higher rather than lower.

Comment

Thanks for that, I was aware that the band may go up because a friend of mine in Kent was stung that way.

99% of the houses are in Band D where I live with and the two properties in Band C are smaller anyway.

I cannot see their being any chance of a reduction so I'll file that litter in the bin!

Thanks again

MJ
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

I was lucky...was in the top band and so nothing to lose. I was dropped to the band below, but not much of a refund as I did it as soon as I bought the house.

Comment

is this NOT based on the value of the Property on SALE/PURCHASE at that time, not on todays VALUE?
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

That is my belief. We keep quiet as we live in a huge house, but only because its had a massive extension and we've been lumped in with all the other houses in the street.

I would not dream of asking them to revalue our house.

Comment

Working...
            X