GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script emergency tax refunds - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

emergency tax refunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency tax refunds

Last January when my hubby started his job he was on emergency tax , he got a refund for the amount they took after April , but was told he wouldn't get the refund for what they took before April .

Does hubby have to apply for the refund or will it be automatically paid to him ?

please and thank you

Re: emergency tax refunds

It all depends why he was on emergency, there are a number of reasons, not all of which means you can get a refund.

Had he worked somewhere else that same year? had he been stopped the right amount of tax during this time? was he working somewhere else as well as this job? was he on the correct tax coding from a previous year?

You can not simply ask for a refund without first knowing why you are on emergency tax.

I suggest you read this first to establish if your position applies http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      It all depends why he was on emergency, there are a number of reasons, not all of which means you can get a refund.

Had he worked somewhere else that same year? had he been stopped the right amount of tax during this time? was he working somewhere else as well as this job? was he on the correct tax coding from a previous year?

You can not simply ask for a refund without first knowing why you are on emergency tax.

I suggest you read this first to establish if your position applies http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm
      he is working part time plus self employment but isn't earning enough to pay tax , so they took emergency tax, he still isn't paying tax now .

Comment

Ok so if he is self employed, then the tax will be refunded once he has submitted a self assessment and declared all income and tax paid.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok so if he is self employed, then the tax will be refunded once he has submitted a self assessment and declared all income and tax paid.
          Thank you, he has already sent his tax return in , he has a part time job of 20 hours working for a company , will he still be refunded or does the 20 hours job mean he has to apply for the refund please ?

Comment

If hes under self assessment, then tax refunds will be issued once a tax return is submitted, he he wasnt under SA then they would refund the tax to him after PAYE year end submissions were made.

It makes no difference how many hours he works, if he has declared the part time hours under the employment section of the return, and included the total tax deducted. Then providing the total income less personal allowance incurs a tax bill lower than already paid, he will receive a refund.

Refunds can take a few months though, the tax deparment arnt very fast at issuing them, but if he wishes, he could chase them up.

Has he not received a tax calculation from them stating any overpayments? It should show any over payments made.

If you tell me, his total income and total tax paid for April to April (including self employment) i can tell you how much hes likely to receive as a refund.

Comment

If hes under self assessment, then tax refunds will be issued once a tax return is submitted, he he wasnt under SA then they would refund the tax to him after PAYE year end submissions were made.

It makes no difference how many hours he works, if he has declared the part time hours under the employment section of the return, and included the total tax deducted. Then providing the total income less personal allowance incurs a tax bill lower than already paid, he will receive a refund.

Refunds can take a few months though, the tax deparment arnt very fast at issuing them, but if he wishes, he could chase them up.

Has he not received a tax calculation from them stating any overpayments? It should show any over payments made.

If you tell me, his total income and total tax paid for April to April (including self employment) i can tell you how much hes likely to receive as a refund.
              he is SA ,last January when he started the 20 hour job he paid emergency tax , but wasn't earning enough even with his self employment to pay tax but was taxed, he phoned them up and he got a part refund for the tax he paid before April last year and they said the rest would not be refunded until this year . I think he will phone them on Monday to remind them because we could do with that money right now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                he phoned them up and he got a part refund for the tax he paid before April last year and they said the rest would not be refunded until this year .
                Ok so he paid emergency tax on paye income AFTER last April as well? In which case, they wont automatically issue a refund until may/june i shouldnt think. They wont have any details to check it against until the year end submission has been made by his employer, this doesnt have to be done until 22nd April THIS year.

So although its on his Self Assessment, its unlikely they will refund anything till they can see its correct.

Comment

Ok so he paid emergency tax on paye income AFTER last April as well? In which case, they wont automatically issue a refund until may/june i shouldnt think. They wont have any details to check it against until the year end submission has been made by his employer, this doesnt have to be done until 22nd April THIS year.

So although its on his Self Assessment, its unlikely they will refund anything till they can see its correct.
                  thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X