GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 'Working age' benefits ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Working age' benefits ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Working age' benefits ?

I've read a load of stuff on the web about the Benefit cuts and caps etc which will affect millions of already hard up families.

But a common theme in the info I have read is that these cuts/caps etc apply to 'working age' benefits. I have tried to find out more about what exactly this means for people who are no longer of working age (as defined by the DWP) but currently receive benefits like HB CT etc.

Now I know the bedroom tax (as discussed on another thread) does not apply to non working age people...provided you are in 'social housing'...but it does apply if you are in Private rented property.

The definition of working age is changing as the move to higher retirement ages is brought in, but is set, for both men and women, at the current females retirement/pension age..which is about 61 yrs 8 months...

So everyone over this age should not (if you believe what is said by the DWP) suffer any of the cuts coming up ..

However, I'm not sure Local Councils understand this, as I am in receipt of Housing Benefit and have had cuts applied to me which were described as 'working age cuts' and yet I am not now of working age.

I'm sure many others could be in the same boat without realising it..and so long as we have this 'gap' between Pension Age (for men) and 'working age' as they harmonise the dates, then confusion reigns ...

Anyone else come across this and can maybe make any sense of it ?

Re: 'Working age' benefits ?

BBC News - Welfare plans: Your benefits may be lower than expected

This is a link to a BBC article which clearly states the cuts and caps are to people of working age....

Benefit cap - DWP

this is a link to the DWP site which also says the caps are for working age benefits..

Comment

Councils dont know what they are talking about, they will apply cuts unless you argue it with them.

The bedroom tax is only subject to those who have a spare room which is bigger than 9 x 7, as defined in the land and property act 1985, anything smaller is a box room and is not subject to a charge.

Councils will not be aware of this, or if they are, will try and charge you anyway.

The best thing to do, is argue your point about not being of working age and therefore the cuts dont apply to you, and with a bit of luck, they will reinstate it.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        The bedroom tax is only subject to those who have a spare room which is bigger than 9 x 7, as defined in the land and property act 1985, anything smaller is a box room and is not subject to a charge.
        I'm not currently claiming benefits but, as my work is intermittent, I do sometimes need to.

I use my 3rd bedroom as an office with my computer and bookshelves/plastic storage crates for all my teaching resources etc.

When I read your post SX Guy I thought great! Then I measured the room and it's 8' x 8'8" so will cost me £12 a week - just so I can store stuff I need to be able to work

Edit: Just googled about the size of bedrooms and come up with this from the Bromford Group
        What is classed as a Bedroom?

When you moved into your home, you will have signed a tenancy agreement. Your tenancy agreement defines how many bedrooms your home has. This is the information your Benefits Office have used to determine whether you are ‘underoccupying’ in line with the new rules. The size criteria used for Bedroom Tax assumes that either a couple or two children (unless the children are of different sexes and one of them is over 10) can occupy one bedroom. .
        We have received enquiries regarding the potential re-classification of properties as a result of small bedroom sizes. This has been based on social media coverage which has been misleading and is an inaccurate interpretation of housing legislation.
        The incorrect information refers to room sizes set out in Section 326 of the Housing Act 1985. The standard room sizes explained in the Act are designed to help local authorities establish whether homes are overcrowded or not. The Act states that both bedrooms and living rooms will be considered available for sleeping in when deciding whether or not a property is overcrowded.
        The new Welfare Reform regulations established for Universal Credit and Housing Benefit are different. The criteria used to decide whether the Under Occupation Charge applies or not is dependent on the number of bedrooms in a property not the size of the bedroom.
        If you have a bedroom that the government considers you do not need, regardless of its size, the Under Occupation charges will still apply.
        We are unlikely be re-classifying the number of bedrooms in a property based on their size. If, however, you genuinely feel that you have a room which could not be occupied by even one person we will arrange for your bedroom to be looked at.
        Last edited by Pixie; 27 March 2013, 20:44.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

the quoted text is fine, but its whats defined as a bedroom that counts.

A box room is not classed as a bedroom, regardless of their huffing and puffing and quoting legislation, its simply not defined as a bedroom end of.

I dont agree with their point about media coverage, could you sleep in a kitchen? no, why not? its not a bedroom. same applies to a box room.

Has nothing to do with how many kids you have and whether they could share a room or not. perfect example of a civil servant council worker writing that peice up not knowing what they are talking about.

Comment

Working...
          X