GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Loan liability of payments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loan liability of payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loan liability of payments

A friend of mine recently lost her mother at the age of 63, this was last month.

When my friend and her dad started sorting some personal belongings, they came across loan paperwork that they didn't know she had, it is a personal unsecured loan, and she signed alone in her own rights.

I am currently awaiting the paperwork to check on a few matters, such as if any PPI, but her dad is left with the worry of any remaining debt balances, and was told just recently he would be left with his deceased wife's debt.

For anyone who has experience or if you know of someone else who have gone or going through the same thing here, of debt left behind, I will be happy if you can post up with some answers for me please, as I would like to make sure I get this right.

As my friend's dad was not aware of the loan, nor did he sign anything (it's only now he became aware of the loan his wife had taken out with Barclays) does that leave him with any liabilities of the repayments?

I would understand if it was a secured debt, but this is unsecured that was taken out in her own right.

Any info and suggestions will be a great help, cheers guys.
    Thank you.

Re: Loan liability of payments

Depends on whom it was with as my partners adoptive dad had a loan with PPI and when he was diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour the loan was written off and all payments refunded!

That was a shocker at the time.

With Lloyds at the time.
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

If I recall correctly,
      the loan company can make a claim on her estate
      if there is nothing in the estate no one is liable for anything

I think you're meant to put an announcement in the London Gazzatte or something
      Last edited by Numpty Monkey; 6 July 2012, 16:04.
      It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

though depending on the amount owed they may well write it off
        I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Thank you folks.

I am awaiting for my mate to bring me any documents, and now have also been told that at one of the banks, someone like a bereavement officer is also looking into matters too.

Again thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X