GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Possible Postal Scam, Advice? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Postal Scam, Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Postal Scam, Advice?

Hey guys.

Yesterday my mother received a letter from ford regarding new cars, it was addressed to a Mr B Walker, but the postal address is hers.

Shes never owned a Ford, and she is the only person ever to live in this house (bought before being built, was originally waste land)

Today she receives a letter from More Than, addressed to Mr B Walker again, saying thank you for your past car insurance quote, if your car is due for renewal please contact us"

The first letter i put down to data error, but now an insurance company has used the same details, im abit concerend.

What would be the first steps i need to take to sort this out?

I imagine i should contact More Than and tell them to remove the data, but how can i check this person isnt claiming to live here?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Possible Postal Scam, Advice?

hiya,
    Assuming the letters are genuine, i would write back (first checking the contact details match) stating the error.
    As you say, once a mistake, twice is a potential liberty being taken somewhere!
    I think there is a way you can check the electoral role with regards to people living at your mothers address, although you say it's a new build so not relevant.
    Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by SA Gold; 19 September 2012, 10:35.
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's possible that Ford have passed her address onto More Than. Did a Mr B Walker live at your mother's address previously?

I kept getting letters from a local Honda garage...even though I've never owned a Honda nor looked into buying one.

I would write back to both Ford and More Than saying that no-one of that name lives there...though perhaps she should have put the letters back in the post unopened with a message to that effect.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

ive done a search for that name at this address, and it doesnt come up.

So i dont think its a credit scam.

I do think perhaps Ford have somehow gotten my mothers address mixed up with this person, and may have passed the info on to insurance companies, which is why More Than have written.

They are both general junk mail letters, never received anything formal, which i would have if this guy had bought a car or paid insurance using this address, so i may be over analysing things.

Ill get More Than and Fords to remove the data and see if anything else happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          I do think perhaps Ford have somehow gotten my mothers address mixed up with this person, and may have passed the info on to insurance companies, which is why More Than have written.
          Sounds about right. I had two letters a few years ago arrive on the same day from the same insurance company. One with offers as a new customer and why i should switch to them, the another with a "thanks for staying with us". Left hand, right hand....
          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
          X