GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script stuffthebanks' UE diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuffthebanks' UE diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stuff the banks ue diary

The very fact that they are asking the permission of the FOS, means that they are not sure.

I would get a quick email or letter off to FOS and Very, denying permission to reduce from debt.

I know that they do this for PPI refunds but this is a compensation payment.

Comment

Originally posted by GANGSHIELD View Post
      I am sure they can do that, others may be able to verify that statement. Steve.
      Thanks GS,
      I think you are right, however we have to sign to agree that we accept the settlement on the compensation....
      I wonder if maybe we refuse the payment ourselves and stipulate that we will only agree to the settlement if the money is paid to a charity...
      Anyone that can help on that would be great....
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stuff the banks View Post
        Thanks GS,
        I think you are right, however we have to sign to agree that we accept the settlement on the compensation....
        I wonder if maybe we refuse the payment ourselves and stipulate that we will only agree to the settlement if the money is paid to a charity...
        Anyone that can help on that would be great....

Suggest you do as Vint says
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
          The very fact that they are asking the permission of the FOS, means that they are not sure.

I would get a quick email or letter off to FOS and Very, denying permission to reduce from debt.

I know that they do this for PPI refunds but this is a compensation payment.
          Cheers Vint....
          The fact we got the complaint go in our favour is brilliant....
          The money is secondary here and we don't want it resetting the 6 year clock....i think that would go down as a very hollow victory for us....and a massive shot in the foot.......
          Steve

Comment

This is from the FOS website.

redress
            We are frequently able to settle complaints against debt collectors by informal agreement, which – if we find that the debt collector has done something wrong – may involve a payment of compensation for distress and inconvenience caused.

In some of the cases that we see, the consumer hopes to have their debt written off in settlement of their complaint of unfair behaviour by the debt collector – or believes that that is the limit of what they could ever receive. But writing off the debt is not necessarily an appropriate outcome and it is more often the case that we will recommend a suitable amount of compensation – which we will assess individually in the light of what has happened, and the actual effect on the consumer, so as to be sure that it is fair. So, compensation will not necessarily mirror the amount of the debt; it could be less, or it could be more.

Sometimes, we will decide that the compensation should be used in reduction of the consumer’s debt. In other cases, we will decide that it should be paid direct to the consumer – depending on what we consider more appropriate for that case.

Not every settlement will involve a payment of compensation. We might, for example, direct the debt collector to accept a reasonable offer of payment made by the consumer.

I would try and get payment direct to yourself first, but when you write, make it a condition that if they refuse to pay you, then it must be payed to a charity of your choice.

When writing, Stress to the FOS that this account is in serious dispute.

Comment

This is from the FOS website.

redress
              We are frequently able to settle complaints against debt collectors by informal agreement, which – if we find that the debt collector has done something wrong – may involve a payment of compensation for distress and inconvenience caused.

In some of the cases that we see, the consumer hopes to have their debt written off in settlement of their complaint of unfair behaviour by the debt collector – or believes that that is the limit of what they could ever receive. But writing off the debt is not necessarily an appropriate outcome and it is more often the case that we will recommend a suitable amount of compensation – which we will assess individually in the light of what has happened, and the actual effect on the consumer, so as to be sure that it is fair. So, compensation will not necessarily mirror the amount of the debt; it could be less, or it could be more.

Sometimes, we will decide that the compensation should be used in reduction of the consumer’s debt. In other cases, we will decide that it should be paid direct to the consumer – depending on what we consider more appropriate for that case.

Not every settlement will involve a payment of compensation. We might, for example, direct the debt collector to accept a reasonable offer of payment made by the consumer.

I would try and get payment direct to yourself first, but when you write, make it a condition that if they refuse to pay you, then it must be payed to a charity of your choice.

Hey thanks everyone for the advice....its all very much appreciated...And Vinty..thanks for taking time to put that info up from FOS....i think you make a very good point,and i will go that route.....
              Have to admit, its a small victory,and in the scheme of things its totally irrelevant.....but maybe if more people were to go the same route and complain then these morons may have to rethink.......
              Steve

Comment

A victory all the same. Well done for making the complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                  As far as I know (correct me if in wrong) only payments made by YOU can reset the SBd clock, not refunds, adjustments, etc. Of course it would be ideal if they paid YOU instead of THEM!
                  I think you are right FP.

Just belt and braces
                  Last edited by vint1954; 13 August 2012, 18:14.

Comment

Could AAD be considered as a charity of your choice

Comment

I know a good charity == my pocket/Benevelent Fund stands @ - 20pence wonder if they accept that as hardship charity
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                        An excellent suggestion PB.....
                        If Niddy could confirm that the forum would be acceptable in the eyes of the law as a charitable organisation, then i would be more than happy for the money to come this way....
                        Steve

Comment

Why didn't I think of that.

I'm just too slow.

Comment

It would have to be a registered charity.
                            MSE has a charity part-funded by donations from Martin Lewis' own personal profits

https://www.msecharity.com/home.aspx
                            Last edited by PlanB; 14 August 2012, 07:46.

Comment

It would have to be a registered charity.
                              I don't think it does, apparently now charities do not need to be registered (if they fall within a certain group) - we do classify the forum and AAD resources site as charitable foundations but not registered charities (cos we're not registered)....

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

MSE has a charity part-funded by donations from Martin Lewis' own personal profits

https://www.msecharity.com/home.aspx
                                Ermmm you mean ML's £16m per annum made from the forum users and his affiliation to money shitty-market
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X