GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script mr affable's UE diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mr affable's UE diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mr affable's UE diary

I am thinking that the sooner I get started with requesting CCAs the better - dont see I have got anything to lose.

Comment

Well - thanks to everyone for getting me motivated to do something about my creditors.

I have got 6 letters in front of me sealed with CCA requests and postal orders inside.

Will send by recorded delivery on Monday. Have also cancelled standing orders for £1 payments I have been paying to creditors for past 4 years (waste of time now). The way I see it is that even if it starts my creditors on a different course of action (although hopefully there is little else they can do or they would have done it already) at least I will know where I stand and I can respond accordingly. At the moment I am in total limbo as dont know what they are thinking or wanting from me.

There - I feel much better for that!

Comment

Originally posted by mr affable View Post
        Well - thanks to everyone for getting me motivated to do something about my creditors.

I have got 6 letters in front of me sealed with CCA requests and postal orders inside.

Will send by recorded delivery on Monday. Have also cancelled standing orders for £1 payments I have been paying to creditors for past 4 years (waste of time now). The way I see it is that even if it starts my creditors on a different course of action (although hopefully there is little else they can do or they would have done it already) at least I will know where I stand and I can respond accordingly. At the moment I am in total limbo as dont know what they are thinking or wanting from me.

welldone ... lets see what comes back.............
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Can anyone advise me?
          I'd say that they already had - and badly - five years ago.

Originally posted by mr affable
          Have been paying nominal payments of £1 to my 6 creditors (total owed approx £36,500. across credit cards, personal loans and store card - largest single amount is £14,000. smallest is £850) for past 4 years. They write to me every 6/12 months and ask for an update when I confirm that I have no assets and little/no surplus income over expenditure each month.

I had assumed that one of them would have made me bankrupt by now but no one has.
          Originally posted by BBoo View Post
          Four and a half years ago I was advised by CAB to stop all payments to non-priority debts (most were already stopped) and wait for someone to make me bankrupt as there was no way I could raise the fees.

4-5 years later I have still not paid one penny to any of my creditors. I have had three threats of bankruptcy, written saying yes please (not what they expect) and they have backed off and refused to do it.
          Why should a creditor make an alleged debtor bankrupt, when the bankruptcy process would cost the creditor money that might not be recovered from that debtor?

It would not make commercial sense.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB
            I know. And have you seen what she expects for a tip when she provides Room Service for adding links to my posts
            No.

Please tell...

Comment

Well Done!

Comment

Well done.

Ignore the inevitable phone calls and wait and see what they send back.
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Why should a creditor make an alleged debtor bankrupt, when the bankruptcy process would cost the creditor money that might not be recovered from that debtor?

It would not make commercial sense.
                  As a naive debtor I assumed that this might be the only way that a creditor could get money out of a debtor if they thought they were able to pay to but were refusing/dragging their heels?
                  Last edited by Flowerpower; 3 March 2012, 20:06. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                    Ignore the inevitable phone calls
                    When they ask you their "security questions", tell them that you are Napoleon Bonaparte and only speak en Français ou la langue Corse, Adolf Hitler und nur in deutscher Sprache zu sprechen, or God and you'll only speak to them if they'll worship you.

Comment

As a naive debtor I assumed that this might be the only way that a creditor could get money out of a debtor if they thought they were able to pay to but were refusing/dragging their heels?
                      Not really, as it is a rather inefficient way of getting money from a recalcitrant debtor. Because all the creditors have to be treated equally when the assets of a bankrupt are used to pay off his/her debts, the creditor might only receive a fraction of what was owed, even though it had cost the creditor more in fees to make the debtor bankrupt.

It's more punitive than practical so, if the debtor replies to the threat with "Yes, please do!", most creditors will have the sense to back off.

Comment

So - assuming the debts are enforceable - what other action can my creditors take (based on the fact that i have no realiseable assets and do not earn a huge salary from my employer)?

Comment

I take your point but I suppose I just want to look at the 'worst case scenario' (its just the way that I weigh up things in my mind). At the same time I would hate to have the possibility of creditors action hangng over me for ever.

I would like to think that if there were no hope of getting any reasonable amount of money out of me then they are unlikely to want to spend money on court proceedings? and if they dont do that and I dont do anything then what else can happen?

Comment

So - assuming the debts are enforceable - what other action can my creditors take (based on the fact that i have no realiseable assets and do not earn a huge salary from my employer)?
                            worse case scenario - they may try and ccj you, wow - big deal.

That's it - why, what else do you suspect can or will happen? They can't send you to prison, they can't empty your house of it's possessions, they can't sell your wife and kids to the arabs - in fact, they can't do a lot really can they?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              worse case scenario - they may try and ccj you, wow - big deal.

That's it - why, what else do you suspect can or will happen? They can't send you to prison, they can't empty your house of it's possessions, they can't sell your wife and kids to the arabs - in fact, they can't do a lot really can they?

and probably only get 2 camels

Comment

And am I right in thinking that the CCJ just sits on the record as proof that you owe the debt and they would need to go to court if they wanted to enforce it? Would having a CCJ affect me in anyway? What about if I came into any money in the future (eg inheritance, lump sum from pension, lottery win!) could they claim that - or is it a question of how would they know if i didnt tell them?

Apologies if I am going in too deep!

Comment

Working...
                                X