GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script UNREGULATED AGREEMENTS ON CCA REGULATED PAPERWORK - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNREGULATED AGREEMENTS ON CCA REGULATED PAPERWORK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNREGULATED AGREEMENTS ON CCA REGULATED PAPERWORK

Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle with me

Is anyone familiar with the N Rock loans case which has now gone to appeal? In that case, N Rock dished out CCA regulated loans on standard regulated paperwork regardless of the fact that many of the loans exceeded the then £25k ceiling.

In court it was decided that as the loans exceeded the statutory limit they could never be regulated regardless of the documents used. However, the judge also determined that even though they were not regulated, certain requirements (such as the requirement to provide regular statements in the prescribed form) were imported into the agreement and that the Creditor's compliance was necessary to enforce.

This particular issue is now at appeal and the outcome will be interesting to say the least.

My question is, if the original agreement (entered into by both parties as regulated) is now considered unregulated, how does that affect any further advances made under the same terms as the original agreement and which were themselves under the limit when advanced?

eg
    1. Original loan for £30k (executed as a regulated agreement) is now deemed to be unregulated due to it exceeding the statutory limit but with certain statutory requirements being imported
    2. 12 months later, the borrower makes an application for a further advance for £10k which is approved "on the same terms" as the original agreement and is advanced by way of an increase in the credit limit to be drawn down using credit card cheques when required

What is the regulated/unregulated status of the £10k further advance given that it is after all another loan but this time under the CCA ceiling?

Does anyone have a view on this please? I have asked elsewhere but nobody seems to be able to come to terms with it

Thanks in advance for any input

Re: UNREGULATED AGREEMENTS ON CCA REGULATED PAPERWORK

Hi Willman and welcome to AAD

Good question! I wish I knew the answer! Our forum administrator Never-in-Doubt should be able to throw more light on it. I'm sure he'll look in when he has chance.

To take a guess, I would think that if the £10K was simply a top up under the existing agreement then it may well still be unregulated, as it simply adds to the total borrowed which is over £25K.
    If it was taken out under a seperate new agreement however, then it would presumably be regulated.

Just hypothesising though...see what others say

Elsa x

Comment

Thanks Elsa, I appreciate the prompt reply

Another way of looking at it would be that as each party clearly intended the original loan to be regulated then the new loan should itself be regulated

Its a tricky one but one that will definitely have to be addressed very soon

Comment

I would agree with Elsa -its not a new loan, but a top up of the original one and would still be un regulated.

However, this is an opinion on the circumstances, not a definitive answer as such.

As you say, its currently in court, so now mater what we think, or what the "correct" answer is, it could change pending the outcome of the case.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
        X