GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script This cant be right - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This cant be right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This cant be right

Hope i have put this in the correct place, twice now we have had a phone message asking a completely unknown person to call Fredriksen International and quoting their reference number , i have saved the message but am concerned a; someone has given our number or b; someone is haveing their name bandied around.Any ideas?
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: This cant be right

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
    Hope i have put this in the correct place, twice now we have had a phone message asking a completely unknown person to call Fredriksen International and quoting their reference number , i have saved the message but am concerned a; someone has given our number or b; someone is haveing their name bandied around.Any ideas?
    Sounds like a typical Freds fishing expedition.

It could be a) or b) of above. Chances are someone has given Freds your number, or, which is more likely, they live nearby and Freds are getting numbers of people who live close by in an effort to track them down......
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
      Why not post the name, 'phone number and reference here, so anyone interested could 'phone Freds and give them a run-around?

Comment

Sounds like a fishing expedition by Freds.

Maybe they've got hold of one of your debts and are using underhand tactics to get you to call them.

Whatever, I'd just ignore the calls.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Maybe Freds has bought shares in a call blocking device like Truecall?

Comment

Sometimes they can misdial, someone gives the wrong number or off by one digit. Sometimes people are just stupid lol

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Why not post the name, 'phone number and reference here, so anyone interested could 'phone Freds and give them a run-around?
              good idea

Comment

Just had another call for same person brassed of with it now, btw its automated

Comment

Sounds illegal to me if they are!

Comment

Indeed, however OFT guidence states that they should not contact people if they are not sure that you are the debtor in question.

They will probably get away with it though.

Comment

determined not to ring back and if i thought that the person in question was make beleive i might do as cloggy suggested and post on here for some person to have some fun but i cant embarass (is that spelt right?) anyone (whimp that i am)

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the ref number to test them out maybe next time if they ring again...
                        On occasions where I've been pestered by these calls (can't remember the exact DCA, although I have kept date/time call/text logs of all of them), I press the button to say "I am so-and-so" and then put the phone on loudspeaker and microphone mute. It inevitably changes to a ring tone and goes through to a real person who then sometimes gets a bit riled saying "You pressed saying you were Mr Bloggs!" into the silent ether. They then hang up after a few "Hello? HELLO?"s and I get a momentary buzz of satisfaction for having wasted half a minute of their day like they have pestered me during mine!

By the way though, if they're calling you but looking for someone other than you, Nanna58, I'm not sure what I'd do ...
                        Last edited by Pip; 6 August 2012, 22:11.

Comment

I imagine that calls from people you do know could be blocked using niddys telephone number preference service, by giving them a new number to ring, but doubt it would work with someone who isnt contacting you per say, and is just fishing, cos you would have to pass security to give them a new number and speaking to them isnt the way in my opinion.

The only other option is to buy a call blocker, a good one like TueCall or cheaper good alternative, CPR Call blocker, if you look hard you can find a cheap one.

Not only do they block 08 numbers, but you can enable/disable international, voip, internet, withheld and unknown numbers.

You also have the option to manually enter numbers to block or press the block button as they are ringing or during the call.

All they will get in future is the sound of the number being disconnected, not even 1 ring gets through either end.

Its been a life saver for me on my work number, not having to stress who might be calling.

The only down side is if some friends have an X directory number and it blocks the caller id, then they wont get through but you can inform them to disable first before ringing.

Comment

Working...
                          X