Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMC

Close down CMCs tomorrow - Desmond Hudson | The Law Gazette

The chief executive of the Law Society has publicly called for claims management companies (CMCs) to be outlawed.

Giving evidence to the House of Commons transport committee, which is investigating the cost impact on motor insurance from whiplash claims, Desmond Hudson said that the government ‘should make the practice of CMCs unlawful’.

While stressing that genuine claimants should be able to receive reasonable damages, Hudson said that the selling of claims by insurance companies may have contributed to exaggeration and fraud: ‘Which is why I think we should close down CMCs tomorrow.’

Re: Insurance CMC's to be closed down ?

It is about time the MOJ acted and closed down the rogue CMC's, we have uncovered some of the biggest scam artists being authorised by the MOJ, a licence to print money. How it works any Tom, Dick or Harry can be authorised.... that's right NO CHECKS are done as long as you pay the fee, then, the MOJ take a percentage of the takings.... so have come to the conclusion that it is not in their interest to cancel or suspend a naught CMC.

Originally posted by Fortman
    Is the MOJ 'in on the act' do you think? They certainly appear to be.
    My site name is after General Tutts who won a famous battle at Newbury many moons ago 1643 - I hope to win all my battles and will fight to the bitter end.

Comment

23rd July update on Blog 'i think milly':

Claims management firms close as tougher laws introduced LINK
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
        23rd July update on Blog 'i think milly':

Claims management firms close as tougher laws introduced LINK
        Many thanks Scorpio for the link, but from my experience in dealing with the MOJ/TS in face to face meetings it is not that clear cut I am afraid. Some of the biggest rogue CMC's are either still trading or have closed down owing thousands of upfront fees and have passed their files to another company with one of the same directors scamming people for a second bite of the cherry. Many people have lost many thousands of pounds and have been refused Barclaycard refunds under S75 consumer credit act sadly as many were duped into believing that they had a claim and but then nothing was ever forthcoming. The MOJ/TS also advise people complaining to claim under s75 consumer credit act as a first port of call rather that ask their authorised CMC to return the money in upfront fees.

This is the BBC link which you gave me and felt it was better to post up the whole article, it is hoped that going forward it will stop the upfront fees and people being conned before they have had a chance to review the contract and make an informed decision without being bullied into parting with their credit card details. Unfortunately it will not stop the cold callers with their lies.... as that is still happening:-
        Claims management firms close as tougher laws introduced

The new rules follow consultation by the Ministry of Justice
        Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Hundreds of claims management firms have shut following the introduction of tougher laws, the government has said.
        The figures show the number of registered companies handling personal injury claims fell from 2,435 in March 2012 to 1,700 in June this year.
        Such firms pursue potential claims victims with "no-win no-fee" promises, and have even signed people up on the basis of a verbal agreement.
        The figures were released by the Claims Management Regulation Unit (CMRU).
        The unit, part of the Ministry of Justice, is responsible for regulating companies which handle claims and pursue cases for compensation.
        In April, new laws were introduced on no win, no fee deals. These included a ban on referral fees between lawyers and claims management firms.
        The new rules also banned firms taking fees from customers before a written contract had been agreed and signed.
        "We have taken strong action to rein in the rogue firms... and the impact is starting to show," said Justice Minister Helen Grant.
        Formal warnings "Ending these fees which fuelled a growing compensation culture has been an important step to reducing the cost of living for ordinary people - who have ultimately been footing the bill for them through their insurance premiums," she said.
        The annual report also details action against firms handling claims for Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) following revelations of mis-selling by banks.
        In 2012-13, the regulator cancelled the trading licences of 211 companies and issued formal warnings to another 285.
        Kevin Rousell, head of the CMRU, said: "We do not tolerate bad practice and continue to take action against companies which break the rules, including removing their licence to trade."
        My site name is after General Tutts who won a famous battle at Newbury many moons ago 1643 - I hope to win all my battles and will fight to the bitter end.

Comment

thank you Milly
          your welcome
          it was also a Bump reminder to everyone, as the last posting was in June............
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Scorpio can you do me a huge favour and move this thread to the new area which Niddy has set up for the CMC's http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/f....php?238-CMC-s so we can keep this information together with any other snippets we get so people can be alerted to these types of companies.

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
            thank you Milly
            your welcome
            it was also a Bump reminder to everyone, as the last posting was in June............

Comment

CMC

Open..................

Comment

Working...
              X