GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script mmm strange - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mmm strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmm strange

Ok guys six weeks ago I broke an ankle and am about to get the cast off. Attended two NHS establishments only. Lo and behold this morning I get a fantastic offer from Hotter who make very comfy shoes, just the sort of thing you would be buying if you were a bit unsteady and swollen after a break or similar injury.
    So
    a how did Hotter get my name (I never ever tick OK to release details) and have never ever bought from Hotter or any other online shoe company before.
    b can the NHS be really selling this info and is it lawful and can they be that brass necked???

Re: mmm strange

that is very strange!! i'd be tempted to ask them where they got their information from! could just be coincidence! *puzzled*

Comment

I might just!!
      can't believe its a coincidence, the timing is just too slick

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
        I might just!!
        if it's not a coincidence

Comment

cos if they are dishing out that info, what else are they dishing out without permission?

Comment

I might just!!
            cos if they are dishing out that info, what else are they dishing out without permission?
            We had the same when Mrs Handy ended up in plaster. She also had several spam texts saying her case had been reviewed and that they thought she could claim @ 3k. Just reply yes!

I am also sure that several of the trust sell on information.

Hows about this though. South Yorks Police Helicopter used to scan the roofs of houses using Infra Red, looking for heat sources that were a sign that people were growing "Herbs" in their Lofts. The Videos were sold on to Loft insulation companies to help target potential customers.

Our Community Bobby told us this.

Regards Handy
            Last edited by Handyman; 3 September 2011, 10:56. Reason: Addition for Clarity
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I just find that unbelievable, how can they, I never gave them permission !!!

i was annoyed enough at the treatment (complaint to NHS board already in) and the nurses who "plastered me" were desparate to sell me "through a leaflet" a body bag thingy for my leg in the shower (binbag just does the same thing as long as you double seal it at the top), but this is the end!!!

Comment

I just find that unbelievable, how can they, I never gave them permission !!!

i was annoyed enough at the treatment (complaint to NHS board already in) and the nurses who "plastered me" were desparate to sell me "through a leaflet" a body bag thingy for my leg in the shower (binbag just does the same thing as long as you double seal it at the top), but this is the end!!!
                You wouldn't believe how many bin bags Mrs Handy got through as well as yards of Duck Tape. When they took the pot off, the plaster technician told her if she had asked they would have given her the special waterproof cover.

They should also have given her a boot to go over the plaster so that she could walk on it.

It seems unless you know what to ask for, they won't offer.

It's enough to make your blood boil

Regards, Handy
                Last edited by Handyman; 3 September 2011, 22:57. Reason: Typo
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Hi,
                  Another possibility is if you googled for info about the fracture, foot structure etc, as you can get spam emails related to google searches.

Comment

As well as if you only just enter an e-mail address on an online form, and NOT COMPLETE OR SUBMIT it - instead delete the page and not come back to it, that you will STILL get an e-mail from the company/website in relation what page you were on..........
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I know...it's amazing how viral it is. After searching online for a long skirt recently I was beseiged with photo ads for skirts in the right sidebar of my hotmail account.

(And on a slightly different note, got caught out again when I finally found one I liked and went through the checkout only to be told they'd do a credit check and open an account.)
                      Not on me they bleddy won't!!
                      I'm a purely cash girl these days.
                      Their loss, Per Una's gain
                      Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 4 September 2011, 08:30.

Comment

commercial companies, I object to but can understand where they get it and the legality of it, I wonder
                        but
                        the NHS, selling details of injuries???? and you're right Sheperdess I did google fractures and dealing with it, wonder if that's where it came from and i'm accusing the NHS of something they didn't do?

Handy you should get Mrs Handy to complain, even the god awful GRI gave me a big shoe thing to walk in, you need something even just to balance in even if its not weightbearing and from what I've read most straightforward ankle fractures can weightbear in a cast carefully, ie with crutches. When they did my cast it was weightbearing in 20 minutes, ie when it had cooled down and hardened.

Comment

Its a bit of a problem in my view. However the NHS is guilty of disseminating information without your permission. They update continually the data to the Welsh Assembly Government (who couldn't run a chip shop, anyway). Whilst I wouldn't object to statistical stuff to improve services they do release personal details in their returns as well. I am in year 10 of a hip replacement. In year 6 I was approached by a disability aids company, a commercial operation who had full knowledge of my condition at the time. I declined any help or to purchase anything. However in year 9 (early last year) I was approached by the same company again. We had a new mattress made with me being measured and weighed which we paid for. On top of this the WAG paid for a physiotherapy massage unit to be built in during manufacture as part of a policy to help keep disabled and partially disabled folk as mobile as possible for as long as possible.

In this case it worked to my advantage but I do have serious reservations as just how much very personal and confidential information is being shared around for commercial gain.

regards
                          Garlok
                          Last edited by garlok; 5 September 2011, 13:50.

Comment

Working...
                          X