GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script National Grid Just Dug Up My Driveway! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Grid Just Dug Up My Driveway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Grid Just Dug Up My Driveway!

So for the last 3 weeks, National Grid have slowly been working their way round our street, digging up in various places. Last week, they decided to dig a hole just the other side of our front garden fence, with no notice or warning. We had some fencing suppliers due the day after to dig out old shrubs and stick fencing up. They have to do this manually instead of the agreed method of using a small digger.

When we telephoned national grid to tell them of our frustration, they stated that the original site in the street had a gas leak, and upon inspection noticed the area needed some important upgrades on the gas pipes. They said, as the original call out was classed as an emergency, they were not required to give anyone 5 days notice of any works, as per their guidelines.

Ok, I understand that if its an emergency it has to be done, but digging holes in various places around the area for 2 weeks, can not surely be classed as the same emergency?

We now move forward to, today. They informed my father-in-law that they will be digging up our drive way today, and that, I and my wife, will not be able to park our cars off road on the drive, for at least a week.

Again, no notice, no consideration to the implications it will cause.

There is absolutely no where to park on my street, theres 60 houses in total, and not one free space because the majority of them have a drop curbs outside them all. And as we know, its illegal to park on a drop curb.

So then where do they expect us to park?

My wife rang them again today, and once again tried fobbing her off with excuses, I can not see how they can still use the excuse of an emergency to totally disrupt everyone whenever they feel like it!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: National Grid Just Dug Up My Driveway!

Log everything, take pics and make a formal complaint. I had a problem with them a few years ago and they think they're a law unto themselves. Absolutely no concern or respect for householders.

I woke up one morning to the heavy thud of a mechanical digger next to my garden wall. It was shaking the house. No notice given whatsoever and the noise and dust were horrendous.
    When they packed up for the day I took a look outside and they'd actually dug partly under my wall footings. They returned next day and filled the hole in, then left.
    Three weeks later in a high wind my wall fell down.
    I'd taken a pic and wrote to complain. Their response was that "It was still standing when they left so not their responsibility". That wall had stood without problem for 40 years. Never got anywhere with them as I couldn't afford to take them to court. Absolute tw@s

Comment

we had horrendous problems with the water board, the dug up the street, broke the water pipes, repairing those, the broke the gas pipe, street had to be evacuated, and the gas emergency team had to come out. No one ever fills in their own holes and when the hole fillers cam to fill in the gas hole, they cut the water off, AGAIN.

I eventually documented the whole lot to the CEOs, finally got enormous amount of apologies and some compo for my harrassment. Now if they appear with anything looking like a digger or a spade, I'm out the door, asking loads of questions, also telling them they have no permissions to dig anything on my property or black my access.

Advice is take loads of pictures, send the lot to CEO or chief executive, tell the numpties in the street you are doing this, they may go a bit more carefully then

Comment

Spoke to them this morning, they are going to "try" to cover the hole on the driveway, but reckon the cover may slip as the driveway is on a slope. Just put the little one down for a morning nap, and next thing I know, they get the numatic drill out. Generator sounds like a bloody bass box vibrating through the house. Luckily shes managed to sleep through it, how long for I don't know.

They want to access the property tomorrow to turn the gas off, were all going away for the weekend as of tomorrow morning, so if they arnt here by the time we leave, they wont be doing any work for the weekend.

Don't worry, we have loads of pictures and knowing my wife, she wont leave it alone until its resolved with some compensation. Especially since we have had to cancel the fencing guys twice now, extended the job by a few more days. As far as they are concerned, it could have cost us an extra few days pay as well!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

So we came home sunday afternoon and found national grid had cut our gas supply. They had left a card in the door dated 28th, saying they would need access to turn it off on 29th (Friday) and turn it back on the same day.

Now prior to going away on the Thursday my wife informed them we wouldn't be there the weekend, and if they wanted to turn the gas off, they would need to be round by 8:30am Thursday morning, they agreed and said we could ring them sunday, and someone would be round to turn it on again.

Thursday morning came and they just sat in their van, so the wife left, and we came home to find they had cut it from outside instead.

Rang national grid to send someone round to turn it back on, and they said, they cant, they don't have the right person to turn gas back on, on a weekend, and would need to wait till Monday afternoon.

My wife explained we have a 1 year old and she needs feeding and bathing, and all they offered was to send electric hot plates round to heat food and boil water.

They said they would be round by 6pm, but in actual fact turned up at 8:30pm!!

My wife said, its a bit late now, my little one has had to go to bed. They guy apologised and said he had to travel to north London to pick the hot plates up.

These guys just don't care do they, really frustrating. They have covered some of the hole over the drive but have left no where near enough room to get a car through it on to the drive. And today my wife has been told, it will be another 2 weeks before they fill the hole in.

I can not believe the mess they are causing and how they act like everything stops for them.

All they are doing is replacing gas pipes, from metal to plastic, surely, this can not continue to be classed as an emergency due to a gas leak in another street, and they should be giving us notice of planned works! the mind boggles.

Comment

SXguy, I feel for you. My road a cul de sac private road is being dug up by a gas fault so they say. We had no notice and its been a week. I cant access my drive or park in front of my house. Yesterday I came back from grocery shopping and they had blocked the road and my frozen items defrosted because they blocked the road with their diggers!

They've filled in the home but still need to sort it our properly and god knows when that will be. Theres no where to turn the car and I have school runs from tomorrow so am really ticked off. Its a tiny road but they just don't care.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon.

Comment

complain complain complain

there was a statutary payment for the water and I'm sure the rest must have them too.

these guys don't care, they don't even fill in their own holes, I know the guys who filled in one of our holes (there have been so many...........)actually came from a town 120 miles away because they were apparently the nearest hole fillers available, which beggers bloody belief

Comment

Why can't they have one team from start to finish, dig the road make repairs and fill in and put back as it was, or is that too easy?

Comment

far too simple Pomps, don't be daft!

Comment

Just thought id update this thread.

National Grid offered us £20 for the inconvenience of our driveway being dug up, my wife laughed at them and said that wasn't good enough.

Today we received £240 in to our bank account from National Grid. So that's now paid for our double pram we needed to buy before the new baby comes

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Today we received £240 in to our bank account from National Grid. So that's now paid for our double pram we needed to buy before the new baby comes

Brilliant, well done Mr and Mrs SXGuy
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Excellent, nice one x

Comment

Yay! Well done SXGuy!

Comment

And so they should Well Done

Comment

Result!
                              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X