GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cars parking half way on Pavement - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cars parking half way on Pavement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars parking half way on Pavement

Really winds me up, and when there's damage done who foots the bill for a repair (when it's finally done) the local council tax payer. What's the reasoning behind it ? is it a habit ? Do people think that it allows the traffic to flow because in my experience you still have to stop because there's still not enough space...so park fully in the bloody road. I've now seen people parking fully up the pavement on corners round my Mums area, I used to play football when I was a kid on that nice wide piece of pavement, now it's a bloody car park and churned up

Grrrrr.

Thank you I feel better now

Re: Cars parking half way on Pavement

I agree, the local council said they were going to get tough with people parking on grass verges around here, they are a mess now and the council are not interested. They have traffic wardens on little mopeds riding around and I have timed them to ticket a car, they take the picture, print the ticket and stick it on the car in under 4 minutes, they would have a field day on the estate - however the worst offender I have seen is the binmen, I am sure they hire people with sight difficulties to drive these things, they are on verges and paths, they even ripped out the curbstones at the end of our drive last year, luckily the guy over the road had been watching them and filmed it with his phone, after he sent it to the council it was repaired within a week ... and they don't dive over it now either.
    It is maddening when people have no respect for anything - even themselves these days.

Comment

Im on the fence with this one. I think it should be done only in areas where it is ok to do so.

A road i live down, is very tight for driving because of the cars parked on one side, if they didnt park half on the pavement, no one would get past. But at the same time, my mrs moans she cant get the pram past the cars.

There are some roads, where parking spaces are actually marked half on the pavement, so its horses for courses.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        Im on the fence with this one. I think it should be done only in areas where it is ok to do so.

A road i live down, is very tight for driving because of the cars parked on one side, if they didnt park half on the pavement, no one would get past. But at the same time, my mrs moans she cant get the pram past the cars.

There are some roads, where parking spaces are actually marked half on the pavement, so its horses for courses.
        I can sort of see the need for it in cases as you describe, there are places where the roads simply weren't designed for the amount of parked cars there are now, but the places I'm talking about this isn't an issue. Sure driving cars would have to stop to wait if a cars coming the other way, but they have to anyway even if the car is parked part way up the pavement so it makes no sense and I'm sure the driver doesn't even know why they do it, a bit like why some drivers put there fog lights on when it's raining.

It is quite un-believable to see the parents parked up the kerb outside the playgroup building, who carry there kids into the car rather than park in the car park which is literally 2 mins by foot away and walk. Those kids presumably are going to think that is natural and do the same when they are older.

Comment

[QUOTE=fedupwiththeworry;376958 a bit like why some drivers put there fog lights on when it's raining..[/QUOTE]

That all depends on how heavy the rain is. I recall driving on the motorway a few years ago and your could see the sheet of rain ahead of you. I lifted off, turned my lights on. When I hit the rain, I had to put my fogs on as I couldn't see further than 25/30 feet - so no one behind me could see me!
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
            Really winds me up, and when there's damage done who foots the bill for a repair (when it's finally done) the local council tax payer. What's the reasoning behind it ? is it a habit ? Do people think that it allows the traffic to flow because in my experience you still have to stop because there's still not enough space...so park fully in the bloody road. I've now seen people parking fully up the pavement on corners round my Mums area, I used to play football when I was a kid on that nice wide piece of pavement, now it's a bloody car park and churned up

Grrrrr.

Thank you I feel better now
            I agree too. Just around the corner from me we have quite wide pavements, and quite often you see cars parked on the whole of the pavement, not just half on half off. You have to practically walk like a crab to get round them, and god help anyone with a pushchair or in a wheelchair, they have to go on the (busy) road!
            Last edited by Sophie; 25 February 2014, 17:19.
            ''You know nothing Jon Snow''

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
              I agree, the local council said they were going to get tough with people parking on grass verges around here,
              I think this depends on the counil; i've heard of some businesses receive bills from the council for several thousand for having to sort the lawn out.
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                That all depends on how heavy the rain is. I recall driving on the motorway a few years ago and your could see the sheet of rain ahead of you. I lifted off, turned my lights on. When I hit the rain, I had to put my fogs on as I couldn't see further than 25/30 feet - so no one behind me could see me!
                Not sure if it's legal though? I find it hard to see anything with fog lights blinding me in the rain I always assumed people had seen it in F1 so thought it was the thing to do haha

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                  I think this depends on the counil; i've heard of some businesses receive bills from the council for several thousand for having to sort the lawn out.
                  Another pavement question lol

Again round where my Mum lives there was a lot of work going on to a house and at various times there were lorries parked up the pavement, vans the same and even a skip half on. The upshot is that the pavement is a right mess up to the point where it reaches the houses lovely new paved drive. Surely the builders should pay for that repair, but who monitors it ?

Comment

Another pavement question lol

Again round where my Mum lives there was a lot of work going on to a house and at various times there were lorries parked up the pavement, vans the same and even a skip half on. The upshot is that the pavement is a right mess up to the point where it reaches the houses lovely new paved drive. Surely the builders should pay for that repair, but who monitors it ?
                    Personally I'd take photos if it were me as proof, in case any permanent damage is done once the work's completed.

Comment

Not sure if it's legal though? I find it hard to see anything with fog lights blinding me in the rain I always assumed people had seen it in F1 so thought it was the thing to do haha
                      Not sure about front, but in very heavy rain, I usually have my rear ones on

Comment

Some councils permit pavement parking and paint the boxes on the paths and sign. Others prosecute. So on council borders confusion reins.
                        It is illegal to use foglights when not required. Try telling those youths will Polos and Astras zooming at 70mph in 20mph zones thinking they look good. Also many people can't find the switch.

Comment

Won't bother complaining to the police, caught one of their 4x4's parked up th epavement the other week

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                            And the OP thought people parking on pavements were a problem. Would love to see how you get your car on the fence
                            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                              And the OP thought people parking on pavements were a problem. Would love to see how you get your car on the fence
                              That made me laugh out loud

Comment

Working...
                              X