GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script London 2012 Olympics: chaos for mobile phones - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London 2012 Olympics: chaos for mobile phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London 2012 Olympics: chaos for mobile phones

Forget the BlackBerry outage – a combination of an O2 sponsorship deal and signal-blocking technology could spell chaos for mobile phone users at the London Olympics.

A deal struck between the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG), BT and O2 currently means that some 40,000 executives and guests in its corporate entertainment areas will only be able to use mobiles with an O2 contract – forcing them to adopt a new mobile number, or face a communications blackout. Attendees will be able to use rival operators such as Vodafone, Three, Orange and T-Mobile in the shared public areas of the Olympic Park, but they will have to swap their Sim cards for an O2 one if they want to make calls within the corporate zones. Executives will effectively be forced to port their number to O2 on a permanent basis in advance of the Games, or use a temporary number and reprogramme their phones.

It could turn into a "communications nightmare", said a source. "There will be thousands of chief executives and business people unable to use their normal phone numbers because LOCOG isn't dealing with...Read more here---> London 2012 Olympics: chaos for mobile phones
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.
Working...
X