GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script AVG anti-virus - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AVG anti-virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG anti-virus

I was wondering if anyone is using AVG antivirus and has been having problems similar to mine.

I have been using this software for years now, always the free version. I received a message the other day (would you believe !st April!) to say that there was a problem with it. I promptly uninstalled it and tried to download another version. But, I spent all day yesterday and the best part of day trying to install it and go various error messages, either relating to the licence number or the registry key. My son is an IT professional but, somewhat inconveniently, is away on holiday until 20th April! One of the free versions I downloaded also installed all manner of dodgy programs, which I could not uninstall from the Control Panel. Luckily, I did remember some advice my son gave me some time and did a system restore - back to 31st March!

I have noticed that Amazon have a paid-for version of this for £8.99 so I am tempted to pay for this but would appreciate any advice before parting with any money!

Pretty please ....
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: AVG anti-virus

Who do you bank with? Some give free AV subscriptions. Barclays for example.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks, Riz. Good point - I bank with the Co-op - not sure if they offer any AV. All I get every time I log on is a message about that Rapport thing and how I need it. My son says it is a form of spy ware and has advised me not to get it. And I know it isn't AV.

Comment

OK. No good. They give you a discount on paid AV, but not worth it.

Barclays for example give you Kaspersky for free.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Riz.

May havve one final go at installing the free version. Not today though, as I have lost the will to live with all this ...

Comment

hi.
            rapport is an awful piece of software the banks encourage people to use to help avoid your pc getting turned over. my advice is not to install it! microsoft security essentials is free and very good imo
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

HSBC, gives Mcfee

microsoft has security essentials FREE for Win7 and above customers

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                hi.
                rapport is an awful piece of software the banks encourage people to use to help avoid your pc getting turned over. my advice is not to install it! microsoft security essentials is free and very good imo

Rapport makes computer so sluggish - forget it

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                  hi.
                  Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                  Rapport makes computer so sluggish - forget it
                  Thanks for the advice, folks. My son strongly advised against Rapport - I only take notice of him on IT-related issues!

And my computer is already very sluggish - need a new one but am holding out until this laptop eventually dies!

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                  HSBC, gives Mcfee

microsoft has security essentials FREE for Win7 and above customers
                  Thanks, 5corps. Unfortunately, I am still using Window Vista - am fed up with it, see the previous comments re my laptop!

Comment

I would say kill Vista and put a reasonably friendly Linux version on it, as that would solve most problems and speed it up. May not be for you though.

Putting Win 7 on could be a good alternative if you can get it cheaply.

Comment

Thanks, Riz.

Think you may be right about changing the operating system. I would probably struggle with Linux as I understamd it is for people more techie competent than I am. Will ask son if he can source a version of Win 7 - have been using it on his desktop while I am house-sitting and it is very user friendly!

Comment

distros of linux such as ubuntu and mint are very user friendly. if you dont have any microsoft dependencies (or have another ms machine) i would say go for it
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

True. Just bit of a paradigm shift, but it's not relly that difficult, especially with those that now have quite good graphical tools to configure things.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                            True. Just bit of a paradigm shift, but it's not relly that difficult, especially with those that now have quite good graphical tools to configure things.
                            Still sounds a bit scary to me - especially the configuration bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              Still sounds a bit scary to me - especially the configuration bit.
                              Could always install Wubi: it will install itself and create an option when the computer boots so you keep your current Windows installation.

Microsoft security essentials is free for all Microsoft operating systems by the way, and you can get it from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...tials-download

Comment

Working...
                              X