GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Warning Doomsday 9th July/DNSchanger - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning Doomsday 9th July/DNSchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Doomsday 9th July/DNSchanger

DNSChanger: Internet 'Doomsday' Could Kick Thousands Offline On 9 July

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1653256.html

A virus which spread almost a year ago could cripple 20,000 UK computers on Monday, experts have warned.
    The purpose of the virus was to change victims' internet settings to make them visit fraudulent websites.

The DNSChanger botnet was installed on hundreds of thousands of machines until the FBI in the US managed to uncover the source of the fraud about 12 months ago.

However because the virus needs to access the botnet's servers to keep infected users online, the FBI were unable to shut it down right away. If they had, thousands would have lost internet access immediately.

Instead they have had to leave the virus' servers online for more than a year - and a planned switch-off in March also had to be delayed because hundreds of businesses still hadn't cleaned their machines.
    Around 20,000 people in the UK and hundreds of thousands in the US are still thought to be infected.

But on 9 July, the FBI will be turning the botnet off for good - and that could leave thousands stranded.

Users have been warned by several sources, including Google, Facebook and ISPs, that they need to run anti-virus software on their machines and remove the virus before it is too late.

But many have ignored the warnings and are now facing 'Internet doomsday'.
    Internet security firm Kaspersky has even released a free tool to uninstall the virus, and has encouraged anyone still affected to do so before Monday.

Re: Warning Doomsday 9th July/DNSchanger

i think this will turn in to another y2k doomsday thing. everyone panicing, nothing actually happend.

I can imagine their figures of infection for the uk are way over estimated also.

But anyone without regular updated AV software will fall foul to a virus at some point, so its nothing new.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

it sounds like a way of putting fear in people and controlling us.

Comment

lol youre prob closer to the truth than you realise
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yawn
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Are that really that many people with no antivirus or spyware on their pc's and laptops

Comment

We had DDos last year on here. We kicked their arses. At one point our server had 250,000/1 ratio. And they brought us down for about 7 minutes.

Steve pretty much fucked them. Shame
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                Are that really that many people with no antivirus or spyware on their pc's and laptops
                With DDos this wouldn't matter mate. Most "decent" baddies involve host influx or direct server attacks. Hackers aren't so interested in end users.

Comment

Whoosh, something keeps flying straight over my head here

Comment

Well it's nearly the 10th and nothings happened yet? I've had no problems has anyone else?
                    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

My pc is fine, but i logged on to my bank account and someone kindly deposted 1mil.

Sadly, it was rupees, so im still skint

Comment

Get you,,, 5 machines
                        Most of us think ourselves lucky to have a pc and or lattop and very lucky to have both

and its now the 10th

Comment

nothing happened to my pc, i have a main pc and a laptop

Comment

I have *ahem* 4 laptops and around 7 desktops ((plus over 1200 at work))

Comment

Its still 9/7 in some parts of the world - it aint over yet

Comment

Working...
                              X