GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script USB Pen sticks - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Pen sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Pen sticks

I have some USB pen sticks/drives that are causing me grief!

On the old comp - XP they work fine and dandy, but they refuse to work on Vista or 7. The newer systems just refuse to recognise them. They dont even show on the "My Computer" tab ..... surely these are not just redundant now?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: USB Pen sticks

Any messages popping up when you try & use one in windows 7/vista?

might be worth a try..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...th-USB-devices

if its fine in xp sounds like a driver issue somewhere in 7/vista

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
      Any messages popping up when you try & use one in windows 7/vista?
      Nope - nothing at all.

Left the stick in for about 5 minutes or so and it does eventually recognise it, and I can gain access to the files etc. But it really shouldnt be that slow surely? On Properties it does give me the option for "something" to speed it up, but it uses 240MB of a 256 stick so not really a fix lol
      Last edited by oscar; 5 March 2012, 12:38.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I run Vista and I had a problem with one when I first used it. I got the message asking me if I wanted to accelerate the port. When I did it it wasn't recognised ( I think something to do with formatting between Mac and PC).

I had something similar with a new portable HD a few weeks ago. Something happened In the first back up I ran. I get a corrupted file message. In order to get it to work I had to reformat. Doing this lost me 60GB of disk space and the built in auto run files.

So to sum up It may be something to do with the way the stick is formatted?

Regards, Handy
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

it depends if the stick is compata' with Vista & Win 7............

You may have to FORMAT the stick on XP to FAT32 (Not too sure if its the other way round for Vis/Win7).....My father had the same problem, but with a SD Card for his camera, it wouldn't read on his laptop as he had a SHDC1 Card and the reader wouldn't read the card......... (so i gave tried mine HDSC - and it worked)......did get an extra 4 gb memory on my card for the camera lol

Comment

NTFS usually....but had similar probs in the past with a FAT32 drive..

Comment

usb mem sticks are normally formatted FAT32 to make then readable across all windows platforms. if you are having trouble id suggest copying the data off the stick first chance you get, reformat it to FAT32 then copy the data back.

Win 7 and vista will then read it fine, and within seconds.

Comment

Working...
              X