GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script need ideas how to heat a swimming pool for free please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need ideas how to heat a swimming pool for free please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need ideas how to heat a swimming pool for free please

Ok, when we bought our house 6 years ago the guy had built a swimming pool, its nothing posh its an above ground which he built decking around, its nice and its really well done , but at the moment we can't afford to heat the thing , we have got a heat pump which costs around 20p an hour , but it still runs up the electric.

last year a friend of ours tried to make a wood stove for it, he got an oil barrel and we bought some pipe , but we never bought enough and when we put wood in to burn it made so much smoke i got concerned about the neighbours that they may complain, i wouldn't want smoke drifting over when my washing is out on the line.

We thought about solar heating but i think for a pool it needs the sun to heat the water to a decent temperature and i like pool water to be around 28-30 .

any ideas guys for free heating , after all it would be better to use the pool .

thanks guys

ps this picuture is like the one we have but it isn't our pool .

Rect18_w_Deck_small-318x234.jpg
    Attached Files

Re: need ideas how to heat a swimming pool for free please

Fill it with the local rugby boys team.

Noooo not like that (y'all wish).....

Give them all beans on toast (cheap ones that cost 2p a can if poss) and leave them (rugby boys) soaking for an hour.

It'll be hot then (with free fragrance of "earthiness")

See, I should be on MSE
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

...Niddy the new MSE andrea!

its been nice being here

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Fill it with the local rugby boys team.

Noooo not like that (y'all wish).....

Give them all beans on toast (cheap ones that cost 2p a can if poss) and leave them (rugby boys) soaking for an hour.

It'll be hot then (with free fragrance of "earthiness")

See, I should be on MSE
        recon it would be a jacuzzi with all those beans

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
          any ideas guys for free heating , after all it would be better to use the pool .
          Go to neighbours garage, tap into electric supply, run cable underground to your pool heater.

Sorted

Failing that maybe grab some wood and build a gazebo over the pool and if you can scrounge some glass/perspex make sort of a greenhouse over the thing, might get warm enough in the summer to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            Go to neighbours garage, tap into electric supply, run cable underground to your pool heater.

Sorted

Failing that maybe grab some wood and build a gazebo over the pool and if you can scrounge some glass/perspex make sort of a greenhouse over the thing, might get warm enough in the summer to use.
            if we get summer it does get warmer, but even with the heater on its fighting against the cold during the night and the heater seems to stay on for ages , it is on a thermostat but i can't afford it on all that time.

good idea that actually, we have the frame to a 17ftx24ft gazebo wonder how difficult it would be to build round it ?
            Last edited by Spent2much; 19 July 2012, 18:34.

Comment

Kids get them to pee in the water...

but the solar tarps you can get are good.. or the black tarps you leave over the water and it will heat it up... I never had a heater for my pool and its fairly warm 28-30 is an average temp for even a council pool.

Also, a lot of the heaters for pools now are very energy efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                Kids get them to pee in the water...

but the solar tarps you can get are good.. or the black tarps you leave over the water and it will heat it up... I never had a heater for my pool and its fairly warm 28-30 is an average temp for even a council pool.

Also, a lot of the heaters for pools now are very energy efficient.
                we have solar sheet but it dosn't heat the pool up much again you need a lot of sun, the heater we have is a heat pump we wouldnt ming using it but think something along side it to keep the cost down. wonder if solar panels would help to keep the cost down ?

Comment

i think with solar panels, it depends on a few factors, how good the panels are, how clean you keep them and how many of them you need to reach the required electric to heat the pool.

Before all that though they need to face the correct way to be in direct sunlight.

A lot of things need considering.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    i think with solar panels, it depends on a few factors, how good the panels are, how clean you keep them and how many of them you need to reach the required electric to heat the pool.

Before all that though they need to face the correct way to be in direct sunlight.

A lot of things need considering.
                    we have a great garden for sun its sunny all day long so solar would be good, do you reckon black hosing coiled on the kitchen roof connected to the pool pipes would be good enough to put some heat into the pool ?

also your idea of solar panels seems good as like i said the roof from the back gets the sun from morning til night .

Comment

A green house really is the answer it will keep the warmth in and will probably be your best bet.. just ensure you have ventilation as the chlorine will start stinkin!

Comment

Working...
                      X