GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Charity/Recycling - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charity/Recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity/Recycling

The last 2 days I have been sorting out good and working order items, this includes clothes, ornaments, furniture and whatever I could find that we did not require any longer and it would be a help to others, especially in need.

I know money is tight for most, so before you decide to give away, think first is there anything you may need that could be recycled from things you have been sorting our, for example, maybe an old cupboard could be used for shelves etc.

If you have children, especially daughters with dolls, maybe any clothes that are not so good for charity as such, the best of the material could be used to make dolls clothes.

Any old woollen items could be undone and remade into something else.

But..........if your not in need as such and feel like a tidy up the same time, anything you don't want, there are always someone that will be in need.

Charity shops/organisations will mostly accept good condition items.

Do a google search for local businesses that will pick up for free as well, and sometimes we are posted free bags through our letter-boxes, always check the trademark to make sure these come from reputable companies as well.
    They ask for shoes in good order, clothes, ornaments and so on.

We have one company that come round that will pay up to £5 for a certain weight, but am always happy to help others in need even without being paid for this.

They do say "Charity begins at home" but as our kids grow, clothes, toys they grow out of, so why not help others?

Re: Charity/Recycling

I've recently started using freecycle - great way of getting rid of stuff that's too good for the skip, but no longer wanted.
    My daughter's hi top sleeper bed with desk and futon has gone to a good home lol, absolutely nothing wrong with the frame, needed a mattress, but she'd just outgrown it. All I asked was that if they decided they didn't want it after all, to put it back on freecycle to help someone else who might need it

Comment

Good one

Comment

I'm very wary of the 'charity' collecting bags which come through the letterbox as most of them are from businesses who will donate £x per tonne - just look at the small print.

Sometimes I sell things on ebay but usually I either take them to the local charity shop myself or I use the bag which comes with the council recycling - the clothes/proceeds go to the local air ambulance - far better in my opinion than some business making money in the name of charity.

My daughter's a big fan of freecycle though I've never used it myself.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by pixiechick View Post
          I'm very wary of the 'charity' collecting bags which come through the letterbox as most of them are from businesses who will donate £x per tonne - just look at the small print.

Sometimes I sell things on ebay but usually I either take them to the local charity shop myself or I use the bag which comes with the council recycling - the clothes/proceeds go to the local air ambulance - far better in my opinion than some business making money in the name of charity.

My daughter's a big fan of freecycle though I've never used it myself.

Good for you PixieChick

And your right too, always check the little print and the stamp logo to make sure they are reputable, I am always wary too.

Comment

I gave up a bit with Freecycle just seem to get 100's of notifications...

I am a bit try at the boot fair or ebay when I can, although you have now made me think about taking some bits to the chairty shops

Comment

I get "charity" collection bags through my door on a weekly basis. I use them as recycling bags to take stuff to the recycling centre - 99% of these bags are from profit making organisations, and not real charities.

The other thing to bear in mind is that your local schools will do occasional collections of bric-a-brac / clothing etc.

Sometimes to sell at fayres, and sometimes for charitable purposes for which they get some money.

At least you'll know any profits from them are going to a good local cause ie. the school (as opposed to some "charity" that doesn't always exist!)
              Last edited by diddlydee; 25 February 2011, 22:08. Reason: appalling spelling, darling!
              If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Well done to you all for doing your bit.

Yes car boot sales, jumble sales even.

I believe that most schools have end of Summer Term fate's as well, and the schools always appreciates hand down in school uniforms too.
                When my youngest left to go to the big school, and no one else in the same family were in the same school, i handed all uniform to the school to help other families in need.

Comment

Working...
                X