GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Renewable time? Shop around but remember your own insurer may offer a better deal to you - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewable time? Shop around but remember your own insurer may offer a better deal to you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewable time? Shop around but remember your own insurer may offer a better deal to you

The last few years I have looked to shop around. A renewal quote usually is there for one thing, for you to IGNORE and for them to MAKE MONEY. However, you need to stick to a few rules.

1) Your renewal quote is the highest you might consider paying NOT the minimum.
    2) Use price comparison websites and some that do not use them ie Aviva and Direct Line. Once you have the quote then see whether this information that you have might help your existing insurer lower the price. In 2009 I got them down by around 25% using this method.
    3) If they do not offer the deal that you want then in that case take the cheapest insurer but make sure that they give you a deal that is as similar to your current one than you can get it.
    4) This perhaps should be higher but have a budget that you are willing to pay and try and beat that figure. Mine has been £200 for the last two years and have hit them both times.

You may find that you will have more pennies in your pocket and be less skint if you never accept your insurer's first offer.

Good Luck

Re: Renewable time? Shop around but remember your own insurer may offer a better deal to you

Just wanted to add to that: my breakdown cover was up for renewal (AA), I found I could get a better deal with homestart thrown in from RAC, so I rang to cancel... magically I can get same cover from AA for same price.

As Nattie says, always worth going back to the insurer (or in this case breakdown coverer).

I still don't know what to make of AA's salesperson's claim that they hvae to send out the higher quote, because they have to abide by FSA guidelines. Sounds like BS to me.
    Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
    SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

Re: Renewable time?

Any idea whence one might obtain some of the "renewable time" mentioned in the subject line?

All I have is the ordinary, disposable time and it never seems to last long enough.

Comment

Re: Renewable time? Shop around but remember your own insurer may offer a better deal to you

To add further to this many folk think that an insurance comparison site will offer the cheapest price and thus do not search elsewhere.

That is not the case use all avenues including as nattie says but also pick up the phone check the high street.

Get a few quotes from insurers that do not use comparison sites.

The older methods of finding the right quote are still good.

Regards

Comment

And don't forget to check out the cashback sites. Make sure that the policy is the one you want and treat the cashback as an added bonus.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
          X