GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script accident on 'private' road - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accident on 'private' road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accident on 'private' road

OK so we live on a cul de sac and our top of the T part of the cul de sac has no street lighting or road marks...we live at the end of the T top... it's basically made up of our drives and an asphalt road leading to them.

This morning someone parked opposite my neighbours drive on the grass verge. Neighbour reversed out and suddenly found herself backing in to the cars rear door, buckling it in.

She went house to house to the 8 houses on the cul de sac and no one knew who the car belonged to.

Then some 6 hours later the owner turned up, read the note the neighbour left and started to shout about the fact she works seven days a week and needs a car and that the neighbour will need to cough up for a courtesy car for the duration of the repair.... apart from the fact that she wasn't working today (so 7 days a week?) and that it surely wouldn't take a week to replace a car door .... will insurance even be invloved with an accident on private land where the owner was parked opposite a drive without permission?

It DOES NOT say private road anywhere... but I gathered from the lack of road markings and ligts it was... also the neighbours said something about it saying so on the deeds... haven't seen them as we rent.

The driver says she was 'visiting her father'.... well we know all the families down this 8 house CDS and she isn't the daughter of any of them... or any of the people we know down the joining road as far as we know.... and besides.. if she WAS related to someone on the joining road then they all have ample parking as the whole 34 house estate is a dead end so not a through road or a known parking area.

We suspect she was across the road at the carvery having an extended breakfast and fancied our parking to their paid for....

Am asking as the young lady next door is in bits about this and worried about her 'no claims'

Re: accident on 'private' road

I'm no expert on this but didn't want to read and run. Your neighbour will have to inform her insurance company. As no one was injured, and she's already given the car owner her details then there's no requirement to tell the police afaik.
    It's then up to the insurance companies to sort out. Did she take photos? I wonder if it makes a difference that the car was on the grass verge, where you wouldn't expect it to be?

I'll be interested to see what others say...

Comment

let the insurance companies fight it out, its not the neighbours responsibility to pay for a courtesy car. Its up to the insurance company to decide that. Really boils my blood, when someone causes an accident and demands you do this and that. Or they try to worm their way out of going through insurers because 9 times out of 10, they arnt insured themselves.

Sadly, your neighbours insurance will prob pay out rather than fight it, as its cheaper.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yeah she took photos.

She fully admits she was a lemon for driving in to the car but really wasn't expecting it there and didn't have the skill / experience to judge distance when reversing... poor girl.

I was witness to another car accident yesterday... woman on her mobile indicating right suddenly swerved left and right into a Fiesta with a Mum and child in it!

Why do people STILL insist on using their mobiles while driving? Is it ignorance or arrogance!?

Comment

Bit of both I think. No need for it these days with hands free kits. I pulled over the other day to answer a call. And all of a sudden a police car came racing up to me and said oi excuse me. Get off that phone. I said er I'm pulled over? She said, oh ok and then speeded off. Lol work that one out
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
          X