GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New Stroke Indicator Please Pass It On - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Stroke Indicator Please Pass It On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stroke Indicator Please Pass It On

Just received this from an old Army Mate who was a section Medic.
    It's worth a read as the information contained may just save a life. When you have read it if you can think of someone to send it to, please pass it on. The more folk who know about this the more lives will be saved.

Thank you, Handy

Stroke has a new indicator

They say if you e.mail this to ten people, you stand a chance of saving one life. Will you send this along? Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

I will continue to forward this every time it comes around!

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters..... S. T. R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and

Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A

SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)

(I.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is

'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
    I have done my part. Will you?
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Re: New Stroke Indicator Please Pass It On

Stroke - Act F.A.S.T.

Comment

As my Mum suffered a major stroke in her early 40s which left her severely disabled (and suffering from depression) for the rest of her life, I welcome anything which helps other people so they don't suffer in the way my Mum did.
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 15 April 2012, 10:14.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
        As my Mum suffered a major stroke in her early 40s which left her severely disabled (and suffering from depression) for the rest of her life, I welcome anything which helps other people so they don't suffer in the way my Mum did.
        Pixie,

It is something I suffered with myself at just 27 yrs old and 22 yrs ago now in those 22 yrs I have done much research so if there are any questions you have please fill free to fire them at me.

I also have a wordpress blog here that I have recently started mainly to compile everything in one place as it is a minefield on the internet to find everything.

Diary of an SAH Stroke Survivor

Comment

Thank you PF.

When my Mum had her stroke (almost 40 years ago), there wasn't the same information and she was later told that, had she received different/better treatment, she wouldn't have been as severely affected by her stroke.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

An awful experience, and that is so young PF and of course your mum Pixie.

Thank you for the useful info Handyman, very useful indeed.

We did recognise the symptoms straight away when dad had his stroke, and thank goodness for update information these days.

Very scary!

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
              Thank you PF.

When my Mum had her stroke (almost 40 years ago), there wasn't the same information and she was later told that, had she received different/better treatment, she wouldn't have been as severely affected by her stroke.
              Pixie,

That is very true and I have had first hand experience of this, Stroke Care pre and mainly post care was not what it is today.

I had no follow on care at all when I came home and was very much left to my own I had a 6mth appointment with the consultant that performed the operation and that was it.

Many stroke patients today have regular flow on scans and much better physiotherapy as well as other neurophysiology treatments because as you know stroke does not limit you with mobility but also mentally.

I am fighting with my GP at the moment to get me refereed to the neurophysiology dept at my local hospital as I feel there is much that can still be done for me and I am still a whipper snapper at just 48 yrs old.

I have the DWP trying to push me back into work and at the same time fighting for further treatments to try and make working a reality it seems I am being pulled from the left and the right.

Can you imagine the effects of having right sided spasticity and what they would do over a 22yr time span with the left side carrying much of the right side body weight.

I have just phoned the DWP to try and get a time extension on returning my ESA form because I had very little motivation to do it they found it hard to understand and get around that why? I had a stroke so it is a foregone conclusion that I will have some form of mental health issue.

Sorry getting carried away here.

Comment

Working...
              X