GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script P45 and self employment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P45 and self employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P45 and self employment

hubby is self employed and he also recently took another job with a cleaning firm , does he need to apply for a P45 ?

The firm he works for haven't mentioned this but he was just concerned it might delay wages come pay day

Re: P45 and self employment

they'll probably put him on an emergency code Spent, does he do self accessment?

I know that you can chose where your tax allowances are put, so he could ask the tax folks to send the new job a notice of coding, then divvy it all up when he does his self assessment at the end of the tax year.

Comment

Only just saw this thread.

Your hubby needs to tell this firm, its his second job.

IT wont be a P45 he gets, but a P46 (if done correctly)

Then they should change his tax code to BR.

Then at the end of the tax year, or whenever your self employment year end is, your accountant will take your combined income, deduct personall allowances, work out your tax, and deduct tax already paid at BR.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
        they'll probably put him on an emergency code Spent, does he do self accessment?

I know that you can chose where your tax allowances are put, so he could ask the tax folks to send the new job a notice of coding, then divvy it all up when he does his self assessment at the end of the tax year.
        Hi , thanks its only 20 hours so he won't pay tax on that and he has only just sent his tax returns in . Based on last years performance he got a reply saying nothing to pay which was nice

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          Only just saw this thread.

Your hubby needs to tell this firm, its his second job.

IT wont be a P45 he gets, but a P46 (if done correctly)

Then they should change his tax code to BR.

Then at the end of the tax year, or whenever your self employment year end is, your accountant will take your combined income, deduct personall allowances, work out your tax, and deduct tax already paid at BR.
          Thank you for your reply , he should get paid tomorrow so we will see what he gets , i just posted that he is only working 20 hours and has just sent his tax returns in and has 0 to pay based on last year .

Comment

if they code him BR he will pay tax, but that tax will be offset against his self employment income.

If you do nothing, they will give allowances to that job instead, and he wont pay any.

But any that may be due on self employment will be payable the following jan and july, half estimates if its over £1000 also.

So personally, get them to BR him at the job, and then you may have a nice rebate come following April.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
            X