News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News

Would you like embalming with that? Funeral directors slammed for hard sell on grieving families

Funeral directors are using hard sell tactics on vulnerable families, trying to push added extras such as embalming, to increase the price. Requests for a ‘simple’ funeral are often ignored with the result that the bill can be far higher than expected, an investigation reveals. The net effect is that a basic funeral can range from £1,700 to £4,199. Consumer champion Which? has issued a warning following undercover research that involved visits to 20 funeral directors by individuals seeking advice about a dying relative. There were also calls to 150 others, including outlets of the two biggest chains, Co-op and Dignity, to try to get details on services and prices. The advice offered by 14 out of 20 funeral directors who were seen face to face was rated as poor or very poor....Read more here--: Would you like embalming with that? Funeral directors slammed for hard sell on grieving families | This is Money
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: News

Blimey!!!

The costs are extortionate!!

I know it's not a thing we like to talk about, but it's a matter of having to I suppose.
    Ads are all over the magazines as well!

We do have family connections with a long running funeral home, through marriage and have kept to the same ones since I can remember, but over the years I have also noticed the costs creeping up! I can also recall the cost of my dad's certainly wasn't cheap!!
    Absolutely awful!!!

Comment

Hard sell wouldnt work on me.

I am one of those people in those circumstances that thinks "whats the point" I know the costs of items can be huge, but I would just go for the cheapest, after all, a coffin rots in the ground or gets burnt - therefore £500 is as good as £5000. Personally I also dont see all the point in the over-elaborate flowers.

I suppose this is just me though, and apologise if it offends anyone in anyway. You should all know how blunt I can be by now!
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It can all add up!
        The arranging fees alone without anything else!

No offence taken Oscar lol! x

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
          Funeral directors are using hard sell tactics on vulnerable families, trying to push added extras such as embalming, to increase the price.
          Exactly how is this new?

Undertakers - I refuse to dignify their trade by calling them 'funeral directors' - can be some of the worst rogues imaginable.

Even the report is misleading, though, as 'embalming' is really a two-part process. The first part, to preserve the corpse sufficiently that the loved one does not stink at the funeral, simply involves the perfusion of the body with embalming fluid which is usually based on formalin. The second part, which costs extra, is nothing more than the application of make-up to the visible parts of the corpse so that it can be viewed without the mourner(s) thinking that their loved one didn't look at all well.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            Exactly how is this new?
            didn't say that it was 'New', says 'News' - forum subject thread 'birthday, congratulations, births, deaths & marriages'

Comment

Working...
            X