GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hooray Hall - Adventures of a Handyman Part 2 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooray Hall - Adventures of a Handyman Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman pt2

Well it's only 24 hours and we are playing your cat, my cat.

Millie is Mrs Handy's cat when she's snoozing on her lap.
    She's my cat when she's yowling at the bedroom door at 6.00 am.

She's my cat when she's on the kitchen table knocking the heads of a vase of flowers.

She's my cat when she empty's the washing machine of the towels Mrs Handy has just loaded.

And she's my cat when she decides to attack the pot pigs under the sitting room table because they are ignoring her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	piggy's-1-upload.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1386632

She's my cat when she chases Cassie the terrier away from her food.

Looks like we have a new Sheriff in town.

They say that you have to keep a new cat in the house for at least a week or more for it to get used to the place. It's going to be a long (fun) week.

You should see her with the little pink nose pressed against the window when I take the dogs for a walk up the garden.

She's got them all heading for a nervous breakdown already, just wait until she starts going walkies with them!

Regards all, Handy.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post

Regarding tradesmen, I don't have a clue when it comes to cars (my ex-hubby comes in very useful on that score ) but I'll tackle most DIY jobs around the house.

When me and afore-mentioned ex-hubby bought our first house (a very run down old cottage)it needed completely re-wiring as it still had lead covered wiring . Step forward a 19 year old me and voila! the house was re-wired and passed the electricity board inspection first time. We saved ourselves a small fortune through doing that and all the other renovations ourselves.
      A lot of things like DIY rewiring have been ruined by current legislation.

Some of the best electrical work I have seen has been done by DIY'ers. I worked as a Sparks for 20 years. I never did an apprenticeship. I re-trained back in the late 80's

In 2004 the government brought in the competent persons act. This meant that if you were selling a service such as electrical work you had to be approved. This was like CORGI for Electricians. A lot of self employed handy-manning electricians left the trade as the cost to comply was over 1k per year. OK if you were working full time but if you were only doing a small percentage of electrical work you have to charge an awful lot to make the cost back.

Then they brought in the Inspect, Test and Certificate Regulations. which meant as a house holder you could only change an existing light switch, socket etc your self. If you did anything else like run a new cable it had to be tested by a qualified sparky. Then they made it that only the company that installed the wiring could test the circuit.

This really smacked of the industry lobbying the politicians.

Then they brought out the 17th edition wiring regulation which changed all the wiring colours to comply with European Standards, when we already have the safest electrical systems in Europe.

Hell in Spain they hardly ever use an earth wire.

This meant to qualify to the current regulations, you needed to spend over 1K at a skill centre for a weeks course of 12 weeks of night schools to reduce the cost plus yet another exam at more expense get the ticket.

Now if your Polish, or from somewhere else in Europe you can come along with your qualifications and go straight to work.

Sorry If I sound Jingoistic, but it really P's me off. No one ever checks if it is a genuine qualification from the institute of Gadansk only that the chap will work for £6.00 per hour without frying anyone, while you the employer charge £20.00

Sorry for the rant Pix, what I meant to say was well done you

Regards, Handy
      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

It seems to be a lot of ninnying, nannying nonsense - but some parts of it are rather worse! Look here (link) for the commercial company behind the Gas Safe Register that replaced CORGI (“Council for Registered Gas Installers”, link) for no good reason that I've ever heard other than having apparently put in the lowest tender for services. Yes, it's another division of our old chums Crapita - the omnishambles that screws up administration up and down the country.

Comment

Thanks for that Clever. That's a point I had missed.
          The British Standards Institute is just the same.

I once worked for a company that was registered to BS5750 ISO 9000
          all this means is that your paperwork and admin systems comply.

At first this was a good marketing ploy. Only companies that had BS 5750 would deal with companies that had approval.

The BSI inspectors would target say a Dentist and tell him that accreditation would lead to increased business. They would set up the operating manual (as if you didn't already know your business)
          Then they would go round all the other dentist telling them that if you didn't have BSI accreditation you would be losing out. In some cases they implied that it was mandatory. It was amazing how many of the first companies to gain accreditation were based around Milton Keynes (the Home of BSI).

In our case the company was a total joke. The MD had borrowed the manual from a previous employer. I had to rewrite it to make it workable (3,000+ pages) Half of which if we had done it by the book we would never have got any work done for the reams of paperwork.
          It used to cost us back in the mid 90's over 1.5K pa for 2 visits from the inspector. Not to mention the cost of employing and training a QA manager. Don't ask how I ended up doing the job - unpaid

Most QA managers knew as much about their product as an NHS Manager.

Do you remember the recent scandal of all metal artificial hips?
          They met British Standards and were kite marked.

I rest my case your honour.

Regards, Handy.
          Last edited by Handyman; 26 April 2012, 22:25. Reason: typo

Comment

One may be reminded that BS is also a translation of stercus bovi.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              One may be reminded that BS is also a translation of stercus bovi.

It was not for nothing I always referred to the company QA (Quality Assurance) Manual as the BS Book. I should know as I said I got the job of rewriting it.

I wonder how many DCA's have a QA manual.
              Just because you have put in writing how a job should be done and paperwork completed so as to be traceable, doesn't always mean that things are done that way.

A lot of the BSI inspectors I knew were worried about being too hard on clients as towards the end of the 90's a lot of companies were leaving the scheme because of the cost. For the inspectors no clients meant no jobs for them

I bet we could write a good QA Manual for AAD?

How about it Niddy Clever and Me as QA Managers

Or would we be known as the forum BS experts

Regards, Handy

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Of the service providers available, I would avoid PusNet Plusnet <spit> as they may still have appallingly dreadful customer service. Eclipse seems to charge about average prices. I'd also avoid SkyNet, if only because Rupert Murdoch is the spawn of Satan. Orange looks good.
                I give Plusnet such a hard time they are now scared of me....always get discount on renewal......I'm happy

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Hi SC good luck with the new bike. Somewhere nearer the ground sounds better. It will also be a lot easier to keep the bike safe as I can only imagine the problems getting it up the steps if the lift is out

To all my other mates, I will try to get an update in tomorrow.
                I meant to do it tonight but I got carried away on the car problems thread

Regards all, Handy
                Okay not moving (well not for now)...though had a fab ride yesterday to Persley (in the rain LOL)...brakes much be shattered going down the cobbled hill LOL....derriere sore....knee sore...still

And then Dr. Who says I have to attend the bible society meet tonight otherwise I'll be denouced as a 'modern version sympathiser' LOL....Hmmm...knees....derriere...10 mile bike ride in the rain. Dr. Who I'd like to see you do that

Anyhow.....glad Millie is sorted....I have a pic of Millie and the ghost of the previous one...this is what the terriers need to learn from Click image for larger version

Name:	524643_428519173831685_142825429067729_1909096_450463629_n.jpg
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1386634

sc

Comment

Hi all, Love the picture SC.

Well it's been a busy old week at Hooray Hall, I have photo's of what I've been up to and will post them when I have downloaded them from my phone.

Just because the weathers been lousy it doesn't mean I get an easy time. Lady Hooray has had me waxing the floors in the sitting room, Kitchen and Library. Cleaning all the fenders and Fire Irons and Vacing the Beams and Drawing room Flagstones. OK so it's only Housework but you could fit 3 decent 2 bedroom semi's into the ground floor of the hall.

Disaster this afternoon when we discovered the moths have eaten a great big hole in a 2.5K wool rug .

Only discovered when I went over it with the vac. HL had to pick at it though and made the hole a LOT BIGGER.

So now my next job is Moth eradication.

As for Millie the cat she now knows the sound of the food cupboard being opened from 20 feet away. She will push the labs out of the way to steal theirs. She is also a climber, no window ledge is safe, Mrs Handy's collection of antique glass is displayed on the window ledges so the sooner we can get her to go out without fear of losing her the better.

Like I said it's been a heck of a week.

Regards all, Handy

Comment

Sounds like you have your hands full what with her ladyship and Millie - poor Handy!!!

My boss had a few problems in his house, which is filled with family heirlooms including beautiful rugs.

He had an invasion of something called woolly bears; the damage they caused was incredible. Who'd have known that such tiny creatures could cause such utter destruction....
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah sounds about right.....

I'd move that antique glass asap...millie plus glass? LOL think Millie will win

Anyhow finally some sun ...so PJ day today as knees okay but bum sore...

Got drenched yesterday coming back from Uni...praise God for the ex army diabetic (he's had a toe off - hardcore) who got my bike lock fixed...prior to that it was in the ladies loo (had a job getting it out)...though could have done without N the mentally challenged perv leeching all over me and giving me the eye....LOL. Will have to have words with G about that...

If I feel up to it and the weather is nice a wee ride down the botanic gardens might be in order this pm

Not the allotment......that would just right me off...

SC

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                        Sounds like you have your hands full what with her ladyship and Millie - poor Handy!!!

My boss had a few problems in his house, which is filled with family heirlooms including beautiful rugs.

He had an invasion of something called woolly bears; the damage they caused was incredible. Who'd have known that such tiny creatures could cause such utter destruction....
                        Hi all, Hi Diddles and SC.

Well it's official after I told her Ladyship what to look for she found Moth Larvae eating the Indian Wool Rugs. Now I am sorry they have been damaged as they are only 4 years old, but relieved that Mrs Handy and myself won't be blamed for the damage as she is like that! doesn't matter that there is yellow pee stains all over them from her terriers, especially where they do it on the leg of some antique chair which then turns the brass caster green, leaving an even worse stain.

Looks like I will be doing a fumigation job next week. Mind you if the waether (look another bad spell of weather ) is as carp as it's forecast then at least it will be a dry indoor job.

Regards to all for now, Handy

PS Loving the Cats picture SC X
                        Last edited by Handyman; 28 April 2012, 23:01.

Comment

Okay....

Anyone fancy dislocating their knee? Boy why does my life have so much drama LOL

It popped itself back in and it didn't wake me so despite the CC's being pants (hardly pain relief ) and not being able to climb stairs without doing one at a time (slowly) and not being able to cycle etc (annoying)i I haven't been to a+E (a+e 9pm sat evening? Naw me neither).....

SC

Comment

Hi all, Hi SC I hope your knee gets better soon. It's a horrible thing to have. I have been carrying round a trick knee for nearly 30 years now. It doesn't give me much trouble but the pain in damp weather, Ouch. I used to run 6 miles a day but had to give up after the last knee op as I have no cartilage any more.

Mrs Handy is in constant pain as she is (and has been ) waiting to go in for a total knee replacement.

Anyway enough of aches and pains. Here is our new Boss.

Name:	Millie on bed upload.jpg
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1386660

She is quite happy sleeping under the kitchen table with the dogs.
                            She is into everything including insisting on her own slice of toast at breakfast.

She also knows how to open bedroom doors when she wants some "Own Time"

The Floors are now waxed and polished in the hall.

Name:	Sitting room upload 1.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1386662

Name:	library upload 1.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1386664

Tomorrow I am fumigating the rugs in the Drawing room to get rid of the wool moths.

If I am not around for a while don't worry I haven't gassed myself.

Tomorrow I change Broadband suppliers, the change over never goes seamlessly and I expect to be off line for anything up to 12 hours.

Catch you all later.

Regards, Handy
                            Last edited by Handyman; 30 April 2012, 22:48.

Comment

oCh bummer Handy...

What is wrong with me? Can't get a cricket splint to stay on? Hmmm....you know the nice blue things? So now debating like phoning A+E and possibly going down there and politely (or not so politely) telling them it's coming off...I'm getting a strap : and like going cycling soon

SC

Comment

Well the change over has gone flawlessly. My broadband speed is now 4.5 meg it was only 1.5 last time I checked. Upload speed is a bit slow at 0.25 but even that is faster than it was.

So fingers crossed that there will be no long breaks in connection.
                                Now If only I could type as fast as the lappy goes all would be great

Regards all, Handy

Comment

Working...
                                X