GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Government considers giving out free phone call blockers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government considers giving out free phone call blockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government considers giving out free phone call blockers

Government considers giving out free phone call blockers

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 27th April 2016 18:44
    ........to stop those awful PPI spam calls

The government is considering distributing free phone call blocking devices to deal with nuisance calls offering PPI insurance claims, ministers have said. The kits would be installed on the phones of people who were particularly at risk from falling for the calls, such as the very elderly or people in difficult financial situations. Culture minister Ed Vaizey said the government was looking at whether rolling out the devices was the right answer after the operators of the Government’s ‘do not call’ list warned that it was being increasingly ignored by marketers.

“While call blockers are available on the open market for consumers to purchase, the government is exploring options to provide free devices to people identified as being at higher risk of financial damage and personal distress as a result of nuisance calls,” Mr Vaizey said. In 2013 the charity Citizens Advice found that around 32 million people in the UK had been subject to unwanted phone calls about PPI insurance. Nearly all, 98 per cent, felt they had not given their permission to be called in this way. The unprecedented move by the government would come despite an existing system under which people add their number to an official list which direct sales firms are not supposed to call. The Information Commissioner can in theory fine firms who do not comply with the Telephone Preference Service list up to half a million pounds.....Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Government considers giving out free phone call blockers

When is Royal Mail going to stop delivering those letters from Vital Nature, Redoute, Afibel, Damart and the like who prey on elderly and others by telling them they have won ( a chance to be in the draw if they purchase something very tacky but expensive and will be pestered forever -in microscopic print) £645,703.51. These letters are so easy to spot and most have European-based addresses on reverse so don't obey UK laws although operating from UK bases.

Comment

Re: Government considers giving out free phone call blockers

what makes me laugh is that they say they are trying to stop unwanted calls, then there are tons of pictures of councilors phoning random people to try and get them to vote for them,

so let them give every one a call blocker then they wont get anywhere with their calls either,
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
      X