GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New law needed for pension protection, says minister - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New law needed for pension protection, says minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New law needed for pension protection, says minister

New law needed for pension protection, says minister

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 9th March 2016 19:14
    A new law is needed to protect workers' savings held by companies that provide auto-enrolment pension schemes, a minister has said.

Fears that dozens of companies providing these pensions are too small to survive were explored in a recent BBC investigation. Now Pensions Minister Ros Altmann has told MPs that legislation is needed to "ensure proper protection" for savers. She said that she was pushing for a slot for a law to be proposed. "We know that doing nothing is not an option," she told the Work and Pensions Select Committee.

Savings at risk

Workers are being automatically enrolled into a workplace pension by employers in a rolling programme set out by the government, although employees are free to opt out. So-called Master Trust schemes, which manage pensions, are popular with the 1.8 million small employers with fewer than 30 staff who are currently signing up staff under the auto-enrolment programme. Only five have some kind of kitemark, and The Pensions Regulator told the BBC that there was a risk that some of the smaller schemes might not survive, putting savers' money at risk......Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X