GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Most scam victims recover nothing, says RBS - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most scam victims recover nothing, says RBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most scam victims recover nothing, says RBS

Most scam victims recover nothing, says RBS

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 28th October 2015 15:45
    One of the UK's biggest banks has said 70% of its customers who fall victim to a scam do not get a single penny back.

Figures from the RBS Group seen by BBC Radio 5 live show the extent to which victims are losing out to scammers. From January to September this year almost 5,000 of the bank's customers fell victim to various scams - at a total cost of more than £25m. The bank says the average cost of falling for a scam has gone up by 40% since 2014, to more than £13,000.
    Huge crime wave

The rate at which people are suffering frauds like this is increasing according to the bank, with 900 cases reported in the third week of October alone - compared with 739 for the whole of September. Conservative MP Mark Garnier, a member of the Commons Treasury Select Committee, said: "It is interesting that overall crime is going down, but we still clearly don't know what is happening with crime online." Customers of Natwest, part of the RBS Group, who have been scammed are most frequently caught out by "vishing" - verbal phishing - where they are tricked into giving their account details during a telephone call.....Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X