GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script All Suck - but no Blow! EU Directive on Sucking! Poor Henry, poor Hoover! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Suck - but no Blow! EU Directive on Sucking! Poor Henry, poor Hoover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Suck - but no Blow! EU Directive on Sucking! Poor Henry, poor Hoover!

Ten days left to hoover up a powerful Cleaner

Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only ten days left to buy one - following new EU rules that come in next month.
    From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts. Hoover - based in South Wales - said that most of its cleaners were in that category. It has been replacing its models since July with less powerful versions, but a few are still left on the shelves. The consumer organisation Which? says many of the models involved were rated as "best buys" by its researchers. In one recent study, five of the top seven cleaners had motors of more than 1600 watts. The new European rules are part of the EU's energy efficiency directive, designed to help tackle climate change.

Among the models which will soon no longer be available are:
    • Hoover Spirit TSP2101 (2100w)
    • Miele S5281 (2200w)
    • Samsung CycloneForce Sensor (2100w)
    • Bosch BSG8PRO1 ( 1800w)

No models made by Dyson are affected, as all the motors on their machines are below 1600w.

Court Challenge

The new EU directive on energy efficiency will also require manufacturers to put an energy rating on the box. From 1 September, vacuum cleaners will be given seven different ratings, from A to G. This includes measuring the performance on hard floors, carpets, and how much dust is emitted. But the Dyson group is challenging this aspect of the new rules, and has applied for a judicial review of the EU directive. It argues that the performance criteria do not include testing a vacuum cleaner when there is already dirt inside it - what it calls "dust-loaded". Dyson also says that 126m cleaner bags and filters from new vacuum cleaners end up in landfill across the EU every year. Yet the new labelling system does not reflect the impact of used bags and filters on the environment.....Read more here
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: All Suck - but no Blow! EU Directive on Sucking! Poor Henry, poor Hoover!

How absolutely ludicrous! How long do people spend vacuuming? What if you have asthma or other allergies, or pets? Surely with a lower powered vac you'd need to spend more time to get the same result, therefore using just as much power, if not more.

I have a 2,200 Miele because I have an elderly dog with eczema who sheds, well, shedloads of hair and dry skin.. I also have COPD myself so need my powerful vac to keep the house clean. I've tried zillions of different brands/power ratings over the years and the Miele is the only one up to the job.

Are they going to make us iron with low watt cool irons next? Our grubby clothes washed at 10 degrees will look so much better creased as well

Comment

Re: All Suck - but no Blow! EU Directive on Sucking! Poor Henry, poor Hoover!

absolute madness!
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
      X