GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Currys interview 'humiliation' as graduate 'made to dance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currys interview 'humiliation' as graduate 'made to dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currys interview 'humiliation' as graduate 'made to dance

A university graduate says he was left humiliated after being asked to dance to a Daft Punk song during a job interview at an electronics superstore.

Alan Bacon, 21, thought working at Currys in Cardiff would be ideal given his love of cameras, and he spent a week preparing for the interview. But instead of showcasing his skills, he ended up doing robotic-style dancing "like a scene out of [BBC TV comedy] The Office". Currys has since apologised. It has also admitted that the dance segment of the interview had been a mistake and was not part of its official recruitment processes. Mr Bacon has been looking for work since gaining his degree in documentary, film and TV from the University of South Wales in July.

He said he was finding the process "extremely hard" because so many people were job hunting. After finding out he had an interview for a sales assistant role at Currys Megastore in Newport Road, he was told he would have five minutes to talk to interviewers about his hobbies. So, armed with photographs to highlight his love of astronomy, he went to the group interview on Tuesday. But he said he was left "incredulous" as the group was told it was being split into two, with each having to make up a dance. "I think everyone initially thought it was a joke," said Mr Bacon, whose ambition is to make science documentaries......Read more here
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Currys interview 'humiliation' as graduate 'made to dance

It's a bit similar to potential shelf-stackers being asked to build a tower out of straws during interviews for Tesco. My friend was a candidate..... That was "team building" too..... pmsl

At the end of the day, it's a shop. So is Currys. Jeeeez!!
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I can't print what I think!
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

i went for an interview many many many moons ago and my interview consisted of the manager asking me to sell his Pen to him and that was it - i got the Job..............

don't work for them now the pay is shite National Min Wage, and the only way to get up the ladder with this lot is assist manager or store mgr role No other roles pays you the money!!! even as a tech

Comment

I remember a bloke interviewing me for a job in the City years ago, questioning my interest in astrology. He asked me what Pisces men were like and I told him, so he hired me...

Those were the days when all that really mattered were common sense, a sense of humour and the ability to get on with others. I'd probably have to rap it or something nowadays....

Absolutely hate the way our country has gone in recent years.....
          Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Best one I ever had (interviewee)

Me: Explain why you think we should consider you, over the other candidates?
            Interviewee: I really don't want the job but the dole told me if I didn't they'd suspend my benefit so i'd say you shouldn't consider me - at all.

..... He got the job just for being a lazy sod.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Best one I ever had (interviewee)

Me: Explain why you think we should consider you, over the other candidates?
              Interviewee: I really don't want the job but the dole told me if I didn't they'd suspend my benefit so i'd say you shouldn't consider me - at all.

..... He got the job just for being a lazy sod.
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
              X