GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Pip's UE Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pip's UE Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
    SB is normaly 6 years after you stopped payments (5 in Scotland) so if you stopped paying in Dec 2011 that would put SB in Jan/ Feb 2018. Although if you have been incontact with any of the copanys/DCA , you have to be sure you didn't admit to the debt.
    Oh yes, I've only ever used AAD templates in all that time which are debt-acknowledgement-proof!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pip View Post
      Re: Pip's UE Diary

Pip's account no. 7
      Sainsbury's
      Start date: June 2004
      Balance as of Dec 2011: approx. £7,000
      Last "full" payment (i.e. within their stipulated minimum): Sep 2010 (approx).
      Last DMP payment via CCCS: Dec 2011
      Default notice issued Feb 2011.
      Status: Last payment in Dec 2011 (smaller amount in Dec 2011 than the regular DMP payment had been up to that month)

JAN CCA request sent to Sainsbury's Bank (Royal Mail delivery conf. printed)
      JAN CCA received-- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says

--- Snipped, see post #7 for rest ---

OCT Letters from Sainsbury's Bank + Cabot in same envelope --- Account has been sold to Cabot Credit Management Group as of August (not October date of letter).
      NOV Letter from Cabot We really want to help you. We understand that you may not be able to pay ... What could happen if you don't talk to us? -- Credit file may be affected // -- We may have to consider other ways to recover your debt // -- You will receive calls or letters until you contact us // -- The outstanding amount will remain due. // Have a great day and we look forward to talking to you very soon.
      DEC Letter from Cabot We have previously explained that there are several options available ... // We do need to hear from you so that we can help you take positive steps towards agreeing an affordable repayment plan ... // If you're having any difficulties in being able to pay then it is important you tell us. // Your account may be reported on your credit file and may affect your ability to obtain credit ...// If we do not hear from you we will continue to contact you to help you resolve your outstanding balance.
      JAN Letter from Cabot Our offer to you // We understand it can be difficult to clear your account in a short period of time ... // We believe that we understand debt and we wanted to share our thoughts with you. We will work with you to understand your financial situation. If we can find an opportunity for you to repay this account in the short term, then we will help you make that happen. Of course, we will ensure that all of your priority expenditure is up to date and anything you arrange with us is affordable and fair.// We own your account and are prepared to reduce the balance in order to help you become fee of this debt sooner. If you would like to take up our offer, then call us. If this is not suitable then you need to advise us of your proposal to clear your account. This account may affect your credit rating and ability to get credit in future. Ask our team if your account is registered.
      FEB Letter from Cabot We have not heard from you // Despite repeated attempts to contact you, we have been unable to gain your commitment to repay your debt. The balance is due and we have advised you of several options that are available, all of which are in an attempt to help you be free of this debt. // You can manage your account by repaying an amount on a monthly basis or make a proposal etc. etc. // If we don't hear from you we will continue to contact you so that we can try and help you take steps towards being free of this debt.
      APR Letter from Cabot We have tried to contact you on a number of occasions so that we can understand your financial situation and discuss a payment plan that is affordable and fair. // Because we have been unable to contact you, we are now going to instruct a company called Moorcroft to try to arrange a visit at your home, so that they can put you back in touch with us. // If you would prefer to speak to us directly then please call us in the next 7 days. // If you need financial help, the we can help point you towards organisations that provide free independent advice etc...
      MAY Letter from Moorcroft Our client has informed us that despite numerous attempts they have been unable to contact you to discuss your account. They have therefore passed your account to us to act as a collection agent. // This may involve our local representative calling at your home address. Please call us if there is a particular date or time when you would prefer our representative to call. Our representative's normal hours of operation are [...]. Appointments outside these hours may be arranged on request. // The purpose of this visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our head office team by telephone. The visit does not necessarily involve any recovery of monies or possessions and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If however you would prefer to agree a repayment arrangement direct with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or you believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [date later this week]. // If you genuinely cannot afford to make any repayment, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. Please do contact us on the above number.
      JUL Letter from Moorcroft Further to our recent correspondence, we have not heard from you to arrange a convenient date for our representative to call at your home. // We have therefore asked our local representative XX, ID no. XXXXX to attempt to call on [a day and time when there'll be nobody here]. The purpose of the visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our Head Office team by telephone [ey??]. The visit does not involve any recovery of monies and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If you will not be available on this date or would like to arrange an alternative visit please call 0161 .... as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your account directly with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [3 days before scheduled date of "visit"]. // If you are experiencing financial difficulty, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. // We strive to offer the highest standards of customer service from both our Head Office team and local representatives and we would welcome your views on the experience. We would therefore ask you to keep this letter until after XX visits you and complete the quick questionnaire overleaf.
      Now, I'll be returning from a short trip away, arriving home very late on the day of their proposed visit. From the way their letter is worded, they obviously pitch a visit as something to be dreaded and avoided; they use it as a veiled bribe to force you into speaking to them by phone.

As I won't be here on that day, and as I'm not arsed about them visiting anyway as I'd just ignore them, I'm tempted on this occasion not to respond and let them waste their money on sending a "local rep". Perhaps then see what they send next. I won't tolerate repeat visits so if they threaten it again I'll write to them, but as SB isn't too far off, I'd rather get a couple more months down the line of their letter-writing sequence (it was two months ago that they last sent anything) before writing to them if I can help it.

Other perspectives and suggestions are welcomed though!

Comment

• As you won't be there that day anyway, it will be no inconvenience to you if someone should turn up, so if it was me I would do nothing at present and see what transpires.

Comment

• a lot of the time when they say 'an agent will be calling on you', it will be by phone,
          they have no legal right to call and if ever they do and you are at home , just ask them to close the gate on the way out. let's face it , if I was to turn up on your doorstep out of the blue, would you be willing to tell me all about yourself?
          They used to say they would send a doorstep collector, but I think we all used to take them in, then they changed to 'a field agent' now I live surrounded by fields and never saw one.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Perhaps then see what they send next. I won't tolerate repeat visits so if they threaten it again I'll write to them, but as SB isn't too far off, I'd rather get a couple more months down the line of their letter-writing sequence (it was two months ago that they last sent anything) before writing to them if I can help it.
            Looking back through the history of this debt I see that you've not entered into any correspondence with Cabot since the debt was assigned to them by Sainsburys in August 2016 (not that you knew that until October 2016!).

I see no reason for you to change your stand-off

It appears the debt will become Statute Barred in December this year so I suspect they may know that (date) so have decided to turn up the heat in a last-ditch attempt to 'persuade' you pay up.

I doubt they'll waste their resources on sending a field agent to your home, but even if they do he'll have a wasted trip.

However keep a eye on any further letters in case they decide to have-a-go at legal proceedings in the next five months to beat the SB clock (that was your last payment wasn't it?).

Di

Comment

• Yep, December 2011 was the last payment for all of them (the month when I saw the AAD light)!

Comment

December 2011 was the last payment for all of them (the month when I saw the AAD light)!
                So hold your breath while at the same time don't get too complacent.

You're entering into the phase when some debt purchasers issue claims to beat the SB clock knowing that they don't have the documentation to support their claim but hoping you don't have the will (or legal backup) to defend the claim.

Di

Comment

Pip's account no. 6
                  RBS Mint
                  Start date: March 2000
                  Balance as of Dec 2011: approx. £5,000
                  Default notice issued Nov 2010.
                  Status: Last payment in Dec 2011 (smaller amount in Dec 2011 than the regular DMP payment had been up to that month)

JAN CCA Request sent to RBS
                  JAN CCA received -- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says (post #92)

--- [snipped -- see post #6 for rest]

JUN Letters from RBS and Cabot in same envelope: RBS letter: We have sold your account to Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd. Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd has instructed Cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd to manage your account on its behalf. [Hmm. I wonder if this is relevant; copied it here just in case].
                  Cabot letter: Your experience with Cabot will be different // Phone us in the next 7 days and our personal consultant will work with you to find a mutual solution. // Have a great day and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.
                  JUN Letter from Cabot [less than a week after the last one]: We really want to help you // Your personal consultant is waiting // What could happen if you don't talk to us? -- Credit file affected // -- We may have to consider other ways to recover your debt // -- You'll receive calls and letters until you contact us // -- Outstanding amount will remain due. Have a great day ...
                  JUL Letter from Cabot: What you should do now... We have explained that there are options available and we want to help you find the most suitable solution. We do need to hear from you so that we can help you take positive steps towards agreeing an affordable repayment plan and becoming free of this debt. If you're having difficulties paying it is important to tell us. // Your account may be reported on your credit file and may affect your ability to obtain credit now and in the future [Bit late for that!] When you start making payments on your account you will begin to reduce the balance shown on your credit report. // 3 simple steps: Gather details of your income and expenditure, call us on 0345, work with us to agree an affordable repayment plan. If we do not hear from you we will continue to contact you to help you resolve your outstanding balance.
                  AUG Letter from Cabot: Our offer to you // We understand it can be difficult to clear your account in a short period of time ... // We believe that we understand debt and we wanted to share our thoughts with you. [??!]. We will work with you to understand your financial situation. If we can find an opportunity for you to repay this account in the short term, then we will help you make that happen. We own your account and are prepared to reduce the balance in order to help you become fee of this debt sooner. If you would like to take up our offer [they haven't mentioned any figures or offer], then call us. If this is not suitable then you need to advise us of your proposal to clear your account. This account may affect your credit rating and ability to get credit in future. Ask our team if your account is registered[??]
                  SEP Letter from Cabot: Despite repeated attempts to contact you, we have been unable to gain your commitment to repay your debt. // The balance is due and we have advised you of several options that are available ... // You can manage your account by repaying an amount on a monthly basis ... // You should be aware that this account may be on your credit file as an outstanding debt ... // If you start making payments towards your account then your balance will reduce. // If we don't hear from you we will continue to contact you so that we can try and help you take steps towards being free of this debt.
                  OCT Letter from Cabot: Your Next Steps ... We have tried to contact you ... Please contact us // Our aim is to help you take steps towards being free of this debt and we want to work with you to make that happen // If you give us details of any income you receive together with your bills and other priority expenditure, we will try to set up a repayment plan that suits you. We hope to hear from you soon.
                  NOV Letter from Cabot: Give our Personal Payment Plans a try / So far we haven't had the opportunity to speak to you and find out what kind of plan might suit you. Which is why we have put together that we think will help you pay off your account. // Is this affordable for you? [Pay X quid a month for TEN YEARS!] Once you have cleared your account, you will receive a letter to let you know your account is closed.
                  FEB Letter from Cabot: Take positive steps to repaying. You have a balance waiting to be paid. This account may be appearing on your credit file. Having a defaulted account showing on your credit file can impact your ability to get credit. You may have difficulty renting a property, getting a mortgage or taking out a phone contract. // By starting to pay back your account, the amount shown on your credit file will start to go down and can start to repair your credit file. // What you could do: pay in full; monthly repayment plan; discount. If this account does appear on your credit file we can talk to you about how each of these options would be reflected on it. Talk to us. Please contact us within the next 3 weeks; we will be trying to contact you.
                  MAR Letter from Cabot: We would like to hear from you as we'd like to help you clear your account. We will tailor your repayment around your budget, so that it is fair and sustainable. // We've enclosed and income and expenditure form ... // If you would rather be free of this account quickly and could make a partial payment towards the total balance, then let us know. We can offer you a discount on your account if its [sic] affordable for you. Please contact us within the next 4 weeks to discuss your account; we will be trying to contact you.
                  APR Letter from Cabot: Tell us your budget, save £50. We want to help you start positively on your journey to repaying this account. Once you start paying back your account, we will reduce your balance by £50. // All you need to do is call us and fill our a budget form, we will make sure that you can afford important things like bills, food and rent then work out what spare money you have. // We will then discuss with what [sic] you are comfortable paying from this amount and set up a repayment plan tailored to suit you. // Call us... 4 weeks to claim this offer.
                  MAY Letter from Cabot: We are hoping a new approach could help you be free of this debt. You may have questions about who we are, how your account got to us, or what can be done to move forward with your account. We believe our team will be able to help. // If you contact us, our consultants can help you understand what is happening with your account and they are experts in setting up repayment plans that fit your individual circumstances. // Our goal is to understand what will work best for you and we will always ensure that what we agree is affordable for you. Talk to us.
                  JUN Letter from Cabot: How we can help // We help thousands of customers set up affordable repayment plans each month and we would like to do the same for you. An illustrative example... £1000 balance, £50 disposable income a month ... pay £16.67 a month for five years // These solutions are for illustrative purposes only. Any solution we can offer you will be based on what you tell us about your financial situation and any goals you may have to repay your account. // Talk to us // We understand that every customer's situation is different and once we know more about your income and expenses, we can work with you to find the most suitable solution for you. Of course we will ensure that all of your priority bills are up to date and that any repayment plan we agree is affordable for you.
                  JUL Letter from Cabot: As we have still not been successful in finding an appropriate solution, we are considering sending your account to an external debt collection company and urge you to contact us within the next fourteen days. // Is there anything else we can do to answer your questions or to help you with your account? // If your circumstances allow, we may be able to offer a discount that would allow you to be completely free of this debt. If you can't afford to do this then we can look to arrange a suitable monthly repayment plan over a longer term that suits your situation. // Please contact us as soon as possible as your account could be sent to an external debt collection company.
                  JUL Letter from Cabot: Your balance is waiting to be paid. You need to repay this amount. There are different options to choose from: Pay in Full "Why should I pay in full?" You can pay off your account completely over a few months, if this account is on your credit file once we've received your final payment we'll update you credit file to 'satisfied'. // Discount offer "How much of a discount?" It will depend on how much you can afford. You can either make an offer yourself, or talk to us about your affordability first so we can offer you a discounted amount. "Can I pay this off over a few months?" Yes, if this is the right plan for you. "How will this affect my credit file?" If this account is on your credit file, we will update your credit file to show 'partially settled' with the amount set to 'nil', this will show that the amount has been paid off but with a smaller amount. // Monthly repayment plan "How much will I have to pay?" Complete a budget form and we will work out a plan based on what you have spare each month. We will never ask you to pay back more than you can afford. "How will this affect my credit file?" We'll update your credit file each month as you start paying off your account, once you've made the final payment the account will be updated to 'satisfied'. // Contact us -- call us or email us to discuss your account.
                  Another Cabot letter without any threats. They bought this debt more than a year ago and I still haven't seen reason to contact them.
                  Other members however who are in a similar boat with Cabot have been in touch with them, or sent Sold Whilst in Dispute letters. Seems there are two schools of thought on the matter of whether or not to get in touch if the DCAs aren't being threatening. For the moment I'll continue to keep my head below the parapet but I'd be interested in others' opinions on this.
                  Last edited by Pip; 29 July 2017, 17:03. Reason: interested *in", not *on*!

Comment

• I would stay ignoring them, they are not threatening anything so why bother for now. save your ink, xxx
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• I've been just filing Cabot's letters. The last one sent around end of June threatened to pass to outside collection agency if I didn't make contact in 14 days. I resisted the urge to reply, and have just received the latest from them - no threats, just payment options, so filing this one too.

Comment

• I sent a SWID to Cabot for the three of my debts they purchased last October/November. As they purchased them from idem/Moorgate, and have wrong info for one of them, I just wanted them to leave me alone. So far it has worked. All three debts are unenforceable. Maybe if they know debts have been SWID, then they won't be so keen to purchase them.

Comment

Another Cabot letter without any threats. They bought this debt more than a year ago and I still haven't seen reason to contact them.
                          Other members however who are in a similar boat with Cabot have been in touch with them, or sent Sold Whilst in Dispute letters. Seems there are two schools of thought on the matter of whether or not to get in touch if the DCAs aren't being threatening. For the moment I'll continue to keep my head below the parapet but I'd be interested on others' opinions on this.
                          I have had the same letters as you and have ignored.
                          I am about 18 months behind you for SB so it will be interesting to see how/if Cabot crank up the pressure.
                          If they are going to issue claims will you get one first as you are very close to SB? Or will they issue them en-bloc, in which case you will probably be ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westham1 View Post
                            I have had the same letters as you and have ignored.
                            I am about 18 months behind you for SB so it will be interesting to see how/if Cabot crank up the pressure.
                            If they are going to issue claims will you get one first as you are very close to SB? Or will they issue them en-bloc, in which case you will probably be ok.
                            Yes, it'll be interesting to see if any pressure gets cranked up, given that there are a few of us who get the exact same letters on the same days!
                            I've wondered in the past whether threats of litigation are motivated in any way by assets that people might have, e.g. properties. I don't have any assets ... I haven't even owned a car since 1993. I have managed to keep one credit card all this time though to be able to hire cars when I need them!

Comment

Pip's account no. 7
                              Sainsbury's
                              Start date: June 2004
                              Balance as of Dec 2011: approx. £7,000
                              Default notice issued Feb 2011.

JAN CCA request sent to Sainsbury's Bank (Royal Mail delivery conf. printed)
                              JAN CCA received-- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says

----- snipped, pls see post #7 for rest -----

OCT Letters from Sainsbury's Bank + Cabot in same envelope --- Account has been sold to Cabot Credit Management Group as of August (not October date of letter).
                              NOV Letter from Cabot We really want to help you. We understand that you may not be able to pay ... What could happen if you don't talk to us? -- Credit file may be affected // -- We may have to consider other ways to recover your debt // -- You will receive calls or letters until you contact us // -- The outstanding amount will remain due. // Have a great day and we look forward to talking to you very soon.
                              DEC Letter from Cabot We have previously explained that there are several options available ... // We do need to hear from you so that we can help you take positive steps towards agreeing an affordable repayment plan ... // If you're having any difficulties in being able to pay then it is important you tell us. // Your account may be reported on your credit file and may affect your ability to obtain credit ...// If we do not hear from you we will continue to contact you to help you resolve your outstanding balance.
                              JAN Letter from Cabot Our offer to you // We understand it can be difficult to clear your account in a short period of time ... // We believe that we understand debt and we wanted to share our thoughts with you. We will work with you to understand your financial situation. If we can find an opportunity for you to repay this account in the short term, then we will help you make that happen. Of course, we will ensure that all of your priority expenditure is up to date and anything you arrange with us is affordable and fair.// We own your account and are prepared to reduce the balance in order to help you become fee of this debt sooner. If you would like to take up our offer, then call us. If this is not suitable then you need to advise us of your proposal to clear your account. This account may affect your credit rating and ability to get credit in future. Ask our team if your account is registered.
                              FEB Letter from Cabot We have not heard from you // Despite repeated attempts to contact you, we have been unable to gain your commitment to repay your debt. The balance is due and we have advised you of several options that are available, all of which are in an attempt to help you be free of this debt. // You can manage your account by repaying an amount on a monthly basis or make a proposal etc. etc. // If we don't hear from you we will continue to contact you so that we can try and help you take steps towards being free of this debt.
                              APR Letter from Cabot We have tried to contact you on a number of occasions so that we can understand your financial situation and discuss a payment plan that is affordable and fair. // Because we have been unable to contact you, we are now going to instruct a company called Moorcroft to try to arrange a visit at your home, so that they can put you back in touch with us. // If you would prefer to speak to us directly then please call us in the next 7 days. // If you need financial help, the we can help point you towards organisations that provide free independent advice etc...
                              MAY Letter from Moorcroft Our client has informed us that despite numerous attempts they have been unable to contact you to discuss your account. They have therefore passed your account to us to act as a collection agent. // This may involve our local representative calling at your home address. Please call us if there is a particular date or time when you would prefer our representative to call. Our representative's normal hours of operation are [...]. Appointments outside these hours may be arranged on request. // The purpose of this visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our head office team by telephone. The visit does not necessarily involve any recovery of monies or possessions and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If however you would prefer to agree a repayment arrangement direct with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or you believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [date later this week]. // If you genuinely cannot afford to make any repayment, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. Please do contact us on the above number.
                              JUL Letter from Moorcroft Further to our recent correspondence, we have not heard from you to arrange a convenient date for our representative to call at your home. // We have therefore asked our local representative XX, ID no. XXXXX to attempt to call on [a day and time when there'll be nobody here]. The purpose of the visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our Head Office team by telephone [ey??]. The visit does not involve any recovery of monies and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If you will not be available on this date or would like to arrange an alternative visit please call 0161 .... as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your account directly with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [3 days before scheduled date of "visit"]. // If you are experiencing financial difficulty, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. // We strive to offer the highest standards of customer service from both our Head Office team and local representatives and we would welcome your views on the experience. We would therefore ask you to keep this letter until after XX visits you and complete the quick questionnaire overleaf.
                              AUG Letter from Moorcroft I am sorry that despite our attempts to contact you, no satisfactory agreement has been reached regarding the balance outstanding on this account. *Affordable Repayment Plan* To stop further debt recovery action (e.g. further letters and telephone calls), we are able to accept a repayment plan based upon your financial position that you can afford. As an illustration if you could afford to pay £50 per month, your balance would be cleared in [blank!] months. However we are happy to agree with you any sensible alternative (higher or lower than this figure) based on your specific circumstances. // Please be assured that we will always take your circumstances into account. We are aware that these are difficult times and when you are experiencing any financial difficulties it is important that we work together. Alternatively you may wish to seek advice from Step Change, CAB etc. // Please give this matter your immediate attention.
                              Third letter from Moorcroft -- less shouty than they used to be a few years ago. Thinking I can safely file this one without responding.

Incidentally, the credit card I had managed to keep all these years offered me a modest credit limit increase by letter the other day. I've paid it off every single month. The increase will be handy particularly with regard to car hire where they block a chunk of money on your card for a week or so after you've taken the car back. Anyhow, just curious why they have offered that for the first time since I started on the UE path ... possibly things dropping off the credit file? I'm not curious enough to get a credit report though as I don't really want any again (apart from this £600 credit increase just received)!
                              Last edited by Pip; 7 August 2017, 11:15. Reason: third, not second letter ...

Comment

• Hi Pip - It's been a while since your last update. How's things going? Any news?

Best
                                SnV
                                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Working...
                                X