GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script GlobalC's UE diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GlobalC's UE diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: globalcrossings's UE diary

Absolutely I2D and we should all be aware that the scammmers are out in force and have replicated the pages of most of the big banks sites that you use for on line banking. We have had written warnings via post from our bank about this. Most reputable banks do not do business as far as I know in the way demonstrated above.

regards
    Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
      Absolutely I2D and we should all be aware that the scammmers are out in force and have replicated the pages of most of the big banks sites that you use for on line banking. We have had written warnings via post from our bank about this. Most reputable banks do not do business as far as I know in the way demonstrated above.

regards
      Garlok
      You should be using Firefox or Chrome because when you attempt to visit a link from these emails it should give you a warning first and then Firefox warns it is a possible phishing site.

Always hover your mouse over a link first without clicking it. You should see the domain name appear that is relative to the link. The fraudster can put the bank name somewhere in the address but they cannot fake the TLD (Top level domain)

You spot them like this

The following are all genuine links and you can replace “bank” with your actual bank

http://www.bank.com/
      http://bank.com/
      http://blog.bank.com
      http://www.bank.com/blog/
      http://www.bank.com?string

The following are all fakes

http://www.bank.fraudstername.com/
      http://bank.fraudstername.com/
      http://www.bank.com.fraudstername.com?string

You should note how all of the valid URLs have bank.com before the first single forward slash and/or the first question mark? That’s how to spot what is real and what a fraud is!

BTW you can replace .com with .co.uk and the same rule applies.

If you are in anyway unsure then simply ignore it and wait for them to write to you.
      Last edited by mauijim; 7 December 2011, 12:05.
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks MJ,

Thats useful information to know. We usually just bin everything from a "bank" or financial institution and recently HMRC unbless it is via our "gateway" access and laughingly the USA Inland Revenue Service yes true; we have a huge refund of tax due to us l l

regards
        Garlok

Comment

Thanks for that guys, it's defo not fake though as they know the exact amount my arrears are! However i will be ignoring them. They still phone everyday and have started to leave messages on answer phone ( glad i got a phone that goes quiet when turnt upside down! ) I guess there trying there best to get a payment so they dont have to default me.

Comment

MBNA

Just thinking aloud, i am a little concerned that my ignorance at this stage might not look so good as i havent responded since the cca, im a little worried how this could look if it ever got to court, sorry to be such a pain in the backside but i do suffer with panic thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by globalcrossings View Post
              MBNA

Just thinking aloud, i am a little concerned that my ignorance at this stage might not look so good as i havent responded since the cca, im a little worried how this could look if it ever got to court, sorry to be such a pain in the backside but i do suffer with panic thanks again
              Just post up when they write again..........
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Happy New year guys. Just a quick update. Today have received yet another email telling me that i have now missed three payments and i can no longer use the card! So i guess there going to register a default now...about time. I assume they will sell the debt on now?

Regards to all the calls they have stopped as i found my mobile has a very useful function called black list which blocks calls

Hope alls well with everyone

Comment

Virgin Credit card
                  Taken Out
                  Nov 2002
                  Approx balance £6300 This is now £6900
                  Date last paid September
                  Status In arrears
                  Account holder MBNA

11th Nov Received CCA
                  25th Nov Niddy says " This is relative to one of the two minute flyers that was highlighted in CABOT UK LTD v BACHELLIER [2010]

They actually sent the original terms from Dec 2001 as well, they're not the latest ones but the originals (thus I said it was enforceable when I checked first time round) however the above case law comes into play so have a read and don't worry too much about this account.

6th Dec received email reminding me of arrears and to pay. ignored
                  12th Jan2012 received email saying i am now 3 months in arrears blah blah. ignored
                  20th Jan received a LETTER! telling me about 3 months in arrears and that the credit facilty has been withdrawn! IGNORING i think?

Comment

^^ no reply needed.....
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                      If you are in anyway unsure then simply ignore it and wait for them to write to you.
                      Well done

You get a new thread dedicated to this - thank you.

---> How to spot a Spoof E-Mail from your Bank - allaboutFORUMS
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Well done

You get a new thread dedicated to this - thank you.

---> How to spot a Spoof E-Mail from your Bank - allaboutFORUMS
                        Yay....fame at last - sort of! Glad to have helped and hopefully it will prevent someone getting scammed!

MJ
                        Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Hi Guys, just been reading another UE diary which has made me think about my Natpest account. This account is enforceable and i was served DN on the 17th nov and just filed it away, however i never kept the envelope is this a problem? I am currently paying them a reduced amount for a period of 6 months.

Comment

It isn't something you can rely on now so I would stop worrying. I assume you were questioning the date the DN was served etc?
                            Last edited by mauijim; 21 January 2012, 16:56.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                              It isn't something you can rely on now so I would stop worrying. I assume you were questioning the date the DN was served etc?

Yes thought i had messed up there, but whats done is done

Comment

However do you have the DATE it ACTUALLY dropped through your letterbox?

regards
                                Garlok

Comment

Working...
                                X