GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Consumer TV Series on television - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consumer TV Series on television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Consumer TV Series on television

Fake Britain

This Week Monday 24th September 2012 @ 19.30 BBC 1:

In this episode, the scandal of the fake charity collections taking advantage of your generosity - we see for ourselves how it's done, and how it's costing legitimate charities millions. Also, the chip shops shifting fake fish, and the perils of not knowing what you are eating. Plus the fake firework-bangers being sold to schoolchildren, which are both illegal and dangerous.Since the making of this programme, Macmillan Cancer Support have asked us to point out that they do now make home clothing collections.

Linky: BBC One - Fake Britain, Series 3, Episode 8

Next Week:

Fake Britain
    BBC 1
    Series 3 - Episode 9
    Monday 1st October 2012 @ 19.30

In this episode, the fake firefighter crying wolf to relieve honest shopkeepers of their cash... at gunpoint. And the dangerous counterfeit vodka that could leave you with more than just a headache - we're with Trading Standards as they crack down on the shopkeepers that are selling it.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Yep I can vouch for this - ours (5yrs old now) seems to be falling apart, why does everything last 5yrs till end of builder warranty before dying? Pain in the ass.

Our patio door just combusted the other day, literally it just shattered for no reason whatsoever..... plus bathroom 1 main tap is broken so thats a few hundred out of pocket - 2 months after warranty ended.

Utter bollocks. :niddy
      Not watched it yet, been busy typing here, and there lol
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Yep I can vouch for this - ours (5yrs old now) seems to be falling apart, why does everything last 5yrs till end of builder warranty before dying? Pain in the ass.

Our patio door just combusted the other day, literally it just shattered for no reason whatsoever..... plus bathroom 1 main tap is broken so thats a few hundred out of pocket - 2 months after warranty ended.
        Every newbuild has to obtain a NHBC warranty before it gets signed off by building control. This is a 10 year warranty which is transferred to each new buyer when the property changes hands. I think windows (and therefore your patio doors) are covered by the insurance

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Warrantiesandcover/Homeowners/

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
          Every newbuild has to obtain a NHBC warranty before it gets signed off by building control. This is a 10 year warranty which is transferred to each new buyer when the property changes hands. I think windows (and therefore your patio doors) are covered by the insurance

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Warrantiesandcover/Homeowners/
          Thanks, It's not NHBC (that is useless) - I am specifically referring to the actual builder 5yr warranty

see this ---> 5 year warranty | Barratt Homes

p.s. We pay for the faults, that's just the way it is
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Barratt = lego build!!!

Comment

I honestly believe warrenty is calculated based on life expectancy and not any other way round.

Otherwise they would loose to much money repairing things they knew would pack up. But thats life i spose.

Years ago things would last forever, but as mass production began to increase so the life expectancy decreased.

Quick sales, long term profit, short term losses.

Comment

Panaroma: 1st October 2012 @ 8.30pm

Undercover: Debt on the Doorstep

The economy is showing few signs of recovery, but one area of business is doing well: door-to-door loans. Panorama investigates the debt business, a world of cash on the doorstep and high interest rates. We go undercover to reveal the tactics of the trade: the real costs of a loan and the techniques which mean that some customers may never clear their debt. And we find victims - the vulnerable and mentally ill, who are sold loans in apparent breach of industry guidelines....Linky: Panorama, Undercover: Debt on the Doorstep

Comment

Lynch mob anyone, anyone

Panorama Special - lynch mob hunt and kill 500 doorstep bullies in vicious act of revenge based of the spineless attitude of the regulators....

** wake up niddy
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

o god just watching this

Comment

Dear OFT,

At what point does the penny finally drop?

Yours sincerely.

Plan B xx

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                        Dear OFT,

At what point does the penny finally drop?

Yours sincerely.

Plan B xx
                        Dear Diary,

Today sucked a little more

Love OFT

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                          At the point where the OFT stops believing the arguments put forward by those companies who *claim* to follow certain criteria but in reality, all they do is lie, fib and tell porkies!
                          They will continue to believe it for as long as its convenient.

Its far easier for them to believe their own propaganda than to admit there are serious failings in regulating short term lenders.

The sooner they are defunct the better...
                          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Update on last night screening:

Doorstep lender criticised over loans to vulnerable

Britain's biggest doorstep lender has been criticised after a BBC investigation found it had loaned thousands of pounds to a woman with a serious mental illness. The woman, a diagnosed schizophrenic, was given multiple loans. The Citizens Advice Bureau accused the firm, Provident Financial, of lacking social responsibility. Provident said in a statement it makes every effort to ensure borrowers are capable of.....Read more on our Blog Pages: Doorstep lender criticised over loans to vulnerable - allaboutFORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                              Update on last night screening:

Doorstep lender criticised over loans to vulnerable

Britain's biggest doorstep lender has been criticised after a BBC investigation found it had loaned thousands of pounds to a woman with a serious mental illness. The woman, a diagnosed schizophrenic, was given multiple loans. The Citizens Advice Bureau accused the firm, Provident Financial, of lacking social responsibility. Provident said in a statement it makes every effort to ensure borrowers are capable of.....Read more on our Blog Pages: Doorstep lender criticised over loans to vulnerable - allaboutFORUMS

Provident = Nothing new there then.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                                The short-term lending issue would be dead easy to sort out. A Nordic friend of mine has told me that, in Finland, interest rates are capped, there is a maximum any lender can charge. Although I don't know the exact figure, it's somewhere around 50%. Quite high compared to mainstream credit cards and loans, but much lower than rates charged by PDL and doorstep lenders in the UK.

If there was a similar cap here, the incentive to set up new supbrime cowboy outfits to prey on the vulnerable would go away. Many would exit the market but this wouldn't be a bad thing, would it? Although I'm sure there would be lots of arguments defending short-term lending as usual!

Use to be 48% here in the 60s as I remember, course greed since over decades has brought about the problems now.

Comment

Working...
                                X