GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Protection for computer......any recommendation? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protection for computer......any recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection for computer......any recommendation?

Hi,

After being offline most of the day due to a virus......I need to protect my laptop.!!

Can anyone recommend a security programme. I have previously used MacAfee, but would like to try some other, preferably cheaper.

Any suggestions please.

Re: Protection for computer......any recommendation?

use free windows one?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Whats your OS?

system requirements are here: ---> http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...gb&s=1#mainNav

p.s this is free and great - I use it all the time :-)
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

avg.

Comment

Thanks Niddy and Jen

Will go with the one you use Niddy, my OS is Windows7.

Had an absolute nightmare today.....blue screen/red writing...and following message.

Warning....Your're in danger.....Computer is infected with spyware....blah blah.......it wouldn't let me do anything. Just kept getting 'Application cannot be executed. The file TCrdMain.exe is infected.' Everytime we tried running AVG or Malware it just kept bringing that message up, and constant blue screen. Had to do a system restore in safe mode, and then a Malware scan......so far everything back to normal now, but need to protect against it. I am not the most computer literate as well you know, but as I do all my banking online, its scary when everything goes belly up.!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie52 View Post
          Thanks Niddy and Jen

Will go with the one you use Niddy, my OS is Windows7.

Had an absolute nightmare today.....blue screen/red writing...and following message.

Warning....Your're in danger.....Computer is infected with spyware....blah blah.......it wouldn't let me do anything. Just kept getting 'Application cannot be executed. The file TCrdMain.exe is infected.' Everytime we tried running AVG or Malware it just kept bringing that message up, and constant blue screen. Had to do a system restore in safe mode, and then a Malware scan......so far everything back to normal now, but need to protect against it. I am not the most computer literate as well you know, but as I do all my banking online, its scary when everything goes belly up.!!!
          I also use Win7 and strongly recommend the free Essentials - its actually really good for a freebie
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            I also use Win7 and strongly recommend the free Essentials - its actually really good for a freebie
            Downloaded and up and running.

Thanks Niddy

Comment

I use Microsoft Security Essentials
              and I've just got that "spyware warning" it turned off auto protect, and gave me all that writing aswell.

I booted up in "Safe Mode" (press the F8 key when booting up), selectedBoot in Safe Mode with network connection.
              Updated Malwarebytes, ran a scan and that got rid of it
              It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials
                Avast FREE anti-virus
                Malwarebytes
                I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

AVG free antivirus - been using for years and never once had a virus.

Spyaware - anti spyware

Good source to read for impartial reviews is the Computeractive website. Good advice in plain, understandable English.

Comment

you can get them also from: Cnet.co.uk FREE Virus programs (and trials) - Panda is Free trial

My 12 mth Freebie McFee from the online banking expired this year, and i couldn've downloaded again another 12 mth free, But decided to buy this time - Kaspersky 2011 complete £25 3 pc license or £35 for 1 user (Duh) - i wanted Kasperky Pure - but they didn't have in stock

Running Vista Home Premium _Win7 can wait -
                    Last edited by 5corpio; 24 June 2011, 20:09.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I am currently running the trial of kaspersky pure.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                        I am currently running the trial of kaspersky pure.
                        whats it like? as i wanted to get that, but needed it asap, pcworld didn't have any, argos either. and Play.com did and was also cheaper. But would have to wait 2 days though to get it lol

Comment

Working...
                        X