GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Antivirus - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antivirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus

Best free antivirus that does not clog up the system is? using a trial of ESET at the moment on this new laptop with Win 8.1 but is due to expire

Thanks

Re: Antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials - it's free and built by the same folks that created the actual OS - hence IMO it beats all others. Never had a virus in 5 years of using it..... says it all

--> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...tials-download
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I used to use MSE, but something managed to get through and cause havoc. I now use Avast - was recommended by a few to me - runs silently and has picked up a few things on various web pages. It does appear to have an "issue" with eBay - just doesn't like the web page but doesn't stop it from loading etc.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes have always used MSE with Win 7 but it is not available with win 8.1 atleast not packaged the same and built in with win defender and thus does not have the same controls

Comment

Just leave defender to do the job. Part of 8.1 system.

Comment

be aware though that if you buy a laptop with a free trial of any other antivirus software, defender will be disabled by default. So you will need to reboot in to safe mode, uninstall the antivirus you do have, then enable defender.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              be aware though that if you buy a laptop with a free trial of any other antivirus software, defender will be disabled by default. So you will need to reboot in to safe mode, uninstall the antivirus you do have, then enable defender.
              Not sure how to boot this Lenovo G50-30 into safe mode as it is not mentioned in the literature that came with it and is my first laptop

Comment

More often than not is F8 as the machine is booting

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  More often than not is F8 as the machine is booting
                  Thanks Oscar

Comment

Working...
                  X