GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Laptop not charging - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop not charging

My laptop (my Dad's actually) won't charge.

When I plug the charger into the laptop it very briefly lights up blue and then turns red.

So that I'm not spending money unnecessarily, what's likely to be the cause?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Laptop not charging

depends as some laptops its the charger its self and others its the connection on the laptops motherboard.

A bit more info like make and model and i could find out which one is most likely for you
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Laptop chargers die quite frequently, especially Dell/HP. The battery can be removed and it should still charge when plugged in.....

I would try a universal charger as that is easier than buying a dedicated laptop one.... something like this: ---> http://www.amazon.co.uk/ElekraTek-Un.../dp/B000K1ACPW
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys.

I didn't know if it was the charger, the battery or the connection.

It's a HP...I think the model is G62.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
          I experienced this problem twice with the same laptop: the 1st time it was just the charger that wasn't working and I bought a new one and did the trick, a couple of years later the symptoms were the same but this time it was the motherboard and I was told it wasn't really fixable so it was RIP to a 4 year old lappy.

I'm sure this is only a couple of years old (I think he bought it after my step mum died) but my Dad's hardly used it. I've used it more since I borrowed it a couple of months ago than he did.

I'll get a universal charger as they're not very much and see if it does the trick.

Comment

it might be the charging port, the same thing happened with mine and my son who has a pc repair business changed the charging port and it works great now .

Comment

Thanks Spent.

It's the not knowing which "bit" of the connection it is which is puzzling me.

I suppose if I bought a universal charger and it still doesn't charge then I can see about getting the charging port changed.

Comment

9 times out of 10 its one of these that need replacing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-...item256bd4764a
                I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

I have done a few of the DC charging jack points on Dell machines, some of them have to be soldered (9 solder points each just a bit larger than a pin head) and some have a small board attachment which is easy to change if you are confident in stripping laptops, a repair shop will charge around 60 to 100 quid to change these things that cost round 25p each for the solder ones. It is so common on laptops for these to fail, warning signs generally are having to move the plug around in the charging socket to get it to charge.

Comment

can be the charger, port or battery as others have said, good way to test it out, is when plugging the charger in, does the laptop die, or does it continue to work? meaning if the battery is dead but the charger is plugged in the laptop would drag power directly from the charger.

If it still dies, its either the charger or the port.

If it continues to power the laptop, its the battery.

I wouldnt be able to narrow down if its the port or charger in the first instance tho but in my opinion 9 outta 10 times its the charger.

My dell battery died and i picked up a new one from ebay quite cheap, infact its now a 4 hour charge instead of 2, so ended up being a win for me

Comment

I suppose I should have checked this first but I found out at teatime that the laptop is still under warranty...just...so I can take it back to the shop to get it repaired.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                        I suppose I should have checked this first but I found out at teatime that the laptop is still under warranty...

Thick mod
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

Thick mod
                          Only because IF's not here

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                            Only because IF's not here
                            Ah so that's at least two thick mods then

Comment

Working...
                            X